Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2021, 08:01 PM

Re: Windows 11 ?

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
If your PC does not have a compatible motherboard, then you wont be able to download it. . . fact!
I live in hope!

I'd have kept XP if I could, and if it was still supported.
Actually, even if it wasn't!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2021, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I live in hope!

I'd have kept XP if I could, and if it was still supported.
Actually, even if it wasn't!
XP was a good OS, I skipped Vista because of being happy with it but I remember XP coming in for an awful lot of stick on forums for years even so. As regards Windows 11, I think there will be..

Discontented people with compatible computers who will want to avoid Windows 11.
Discontented people with incompatible computers who will really want to upgrade to W.11 but can't.
Discontentment over the shortage of barge poles.

There will certainly be plenty to talk about over the coming months. Microsoft's expectations of computer hardware could come down before the release date.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
XP was a good OS, I skipped Vista because of being happy with it but I remember XP coming in for an awful lot of stick on forums for years even so. As regards Windows 11, I think there will be..

Discontented people with compatible computers who will want to avoid Windows 11.
Discontented people with incompatible computers who will really want to upgrade to W.11 but can't.
Discontentment over the shortage of barge poles.

There will certainly be plenty to talk about over the coming months. Microsoft's expectations of computer hardware could come down before the release date.
I liked XP too, but regarding Windows 11 I see that MS had to pull the compatability tool because of problems.
So if you tried it & got a "no", there might still be hope.

Personally I bit the bullet & got a new lappy, as I'd been threatening to do since my op. and this lappy is advertised as being compatible.
My 5-year-old Intel NUC desktop with a 6th-generation i5 however was not.
Not that I think it'll make exactly loads of difference mind you, other than this laptop being far easier for me to use.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 05:55 PM

I suspect that MS will modify the requirements, but, in the meantime, imagine how much money they might make by a high proportion, of the millions of Windows users, buying a new PC to conform!

Get 60, or so, percent of company buyers to upgrade, or buy new PCs, then bring out as miracle fix for those who previously didn't meet the spec!]

It's a no brainer!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I suspect that MS will modify the requirements, but, in the meantime, imagine how much money they might make by a high proportion, of the millions of Windows users, buying a new PC to conform!

Get 60, or so, percent of company buyers to upgrade, or buy new PCs, then bring out as miracle fix for those who previously didn't meet the spec!]

It's a no brainer!
I would agree with you except that from what I see, companies most frequently won't upgrade PC's until absolutely necessary and they are rarely early adopters.
Unless necessary as part of their business of course.
If you look in most offices & workplaces, the computers in use tend to be pretty ancient affairs.

No, forget the tinfoil hat stuff.
This is Microsoft responding to a need because they are losing huge amounts of custom to Android, Chrome and other gaining-in-popularity operating systems.
And when the customers for the OS leave, so do the customers for expensive office suites etc. that are ideally-suited to that operating system.
On top of that is a decline in the need for computers, because not only do phones & tablets do most of what a majority of folk want but even TV's increasingly-frequently have smart features which include web browsing.

Long-gone are the days when Microsoft's only real competitor was Apple.
The times they are a-changing and IMHO Microsoft is only trying to cling on.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I would agree with you except that from what I see, companies most frequently won't upgrade PC's until absolutely necessary and they are rarely early adopters.
Unless necessary as part of their business of course.
If you look in most offices & workplaces, the computers in use tend to be pretty ancient affairs.

No, forget the tinfoil hat stuff.
This is Microsoft responding to a need because they are losing huge amounts of custom to Android, Chrome and other gaining-in-popularity operating systems.
And when the customers for the OS leave, so do the customers for expensive office suites etc. that are ideally-suited to that operating system.
On top of that is a decline in the need for computers, because not only do phones & tablets do most of what a majority of folk want but even TV's increasingly-frequently have smart features which include web browsing.

Long-gone are the days when Microsoft's only real competitor was Apple.
The times they are a-changing and IMHO Microsoft is only trying to cling on.
Not us. I downloaded OpenOffice Suite onto our desktops. This suite of programmes are free-ware versions of MS Office and, in my opinion, all the better for that. You can even save files in MS formats using OpenOffice.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 08:50 PM

We're all familiar with what the subscription-based Office 355 is about but now Windows 365 is making an appearance...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57836326
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
We're all familiar with what the subscription-based Office 355 is about but now Windows 365 is making an appearance...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57836326
There we go!

Now we know where MS wants the flock to go!

Windows 365 Subscription will become the big money maker, just as Office 365 subscription version has taken over the lion's share of office use.

Even the non business W10 user might prefer going this way if the deal is better than having to upgrade their PC.

mart
Chatterbox
South of England

17-07-2021, 11:42 AM

I wonder if Windows 365 would be as versatile as a Desktop OS? I suppose it might only be possible to install MS Store Apps into a Cloud account.

It looks like it will be a fair time away for home users and there will (hopefully) still be the choice of the cloud OS or a computer OS.

A cloud Windows OS via an Android App? Quite a progression.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

17-07-2021, 03:40 PM

It is quite a progression but will home users really need this?
I don't see it's usefulness for home users from what I've read, but I suppose time will tell.
Personally I think that Microsoft have left it too late and the technological advances of recent years have already caused such a negative impact upon what was once their core business that they will never recover their once-dominant status.
Hence their decision there to concentrate primarily upon business cloud computing.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top