Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 12:42 AM

Re: Swearing ....

I recall when I was very young coming out with a Welsh phrase, which I had learned phonetically from my dad, who had probably learned it in the same way from his, as none of us were fluent in the language at that time. Anyway I cannot recall what had instigated the outburst, simply that I came out with this Welsh phrase, and my mother giving me such a clout I saw stars as she yelled at me "don't ever let me hear you say that again, the men say that down the pit". To this day I have no idea what I said. BUT last night, on the Indian doctor, blimey if one of the characters did not say it, or at least the first part of it only the scene moved on before he could finish it.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 03:28 AM

I don't feel there's anything wrong with swearing if it's done tastefully.
After all, a swear word is just another word.
But more than 2 F's in a short sentence would be too many in my opinion.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 10:52 AM

I only ever inadvertently swore once in front of my parents: I used to 'work' at a stables when I was about 13 and it was a good 8 or 9 mile walk there and back and one day, I came in, flopped into a chair and announced that I was knackered - BOOM! 'Have you any idea what that means Karen' - they never did explain but I certainly never said it again - ever!

I agree with others about comedians and the constant swearing - it has ruined comedy.

Like others have said, I see swearing as unnecessary and I detest gratuitious swearing and anyone that does that, they and I are not going to be friends; I just don't want to hear it. I will immediately downgrade a person that swears in everyday conversation.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
I don't feel there's anything wrong with swearing if it's done tastefully.
How can swearing - which is vulgar in the extreme - ever be done tastefully?

After all, a swear word is just another word.
but an unnecessary and vulgar word.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
How can swearing - which is vulgar in the extreme - ever be done tastefully?

but an unnecessary and vulgar word.
Silver Tabby, you and I don't see eye to eye.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 01:01 PM

I've never heard my Dad or Mam swear, and none of us ever swore in the house, outside the house I would use the occasional F word and it can be effective in getting a point across when nobody is paying attention to what you are saying in the pub, or as a comfort when you accidently hit your thumb with a hammer, it has it's uses if used in the right perspective but the overuse of swear words displays ignorance I think.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox

23-09-2013, 01:05 PM

My favorite swear word is firetruck. It starts with F and ends in uck.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
I recall when I was very young coming out with a Welsh phrase, which I had learned phonetically from my dad, who had probably learned it in the same way from his, as none of us were fluent in the language at that time. Anyway I cannot recall what had instigated the outburst, simply that I came out with this Welsh phrase, and my mother giving me such a clout I saw stars as she yelled at me "don't ever let me hear you say that again, the men say that down the pit". To this day I have no idea what I said. BUT last night, on the Indian doctor, blimey if one of the characters did not say it, or at least the first part of it only the scene moved on before he could finish it.
Ok... so now I'm curious.. Anyone here able to translate Welsh? I'd love to know what you said.. lol!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 02:02 PM

Cant help you Audrey - as she doesn't say what she 'actually said !'
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
I think your Mum was right - lack of vocabulary, fits the bill ...

Yes, that's exactly what I was told too.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top