Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 08:12 PM

Re: Care home distress.

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I quite agree with you on this, one problem though is getting personal damages is almost impossible due to the cost of litigation in the UK. For most 'ordinary' people there's no Legal Aid these days. There is only one way of getting the finances to take action if you don't have savings and that's by using your home as security. If you either fail in your objective or even if you win damages what you get is not guaranteed to reimburse those costs. It's judges who take these cases and as many people know they are not always living in the real world, whereas we are.

To give you an example of the cost of just an ordinary solicitor's costs, ONE HOUR'S advice including one letter plus a copy of that cost £300. With state pensions in the UK at around £155+ a week that gives you some idea of the unfairness of the cost of litigation.

After my mother was personally very poorly treated in an NHS hospital some years' ago, I made an official complaint and the family received an apology and an undertaking that procedures would immediately change. They did but litigation was out of the question due to the cost. At least other people would not be treated in the way my mother was so that was something.

Do bear in mind though that not all care home are like the one in the OP. My mother was so well looked after in the care home found we for her, no complaints at all, she was really cared for during her last days. The owner of the care home was a senior ex-nurse experienced in palliative care, she was so understanding and compassionate and helped all family members in all kinds of ways at such a difficult time.
Most educational, Baz! Thanks so much for your detailed explanation. Here, most health and accident claims are represented by civil attorneys who don't charge you unless until they win. One of the advantages of this system is that they will tell you if they don't think you have a case or will spend more time than it is worth to pursue a case Trust me though, this does not make these attorneys here saints by any measure.

I am sure that good care is the norm, and most pleased to hear your experience with your family.

Hospice nurses and those who treat people with kindness and dignity in their last days are among the best among us.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 08:38 PM

Absolutely disgusting, I hope that " carer" gets what's due to her, families regrettably have to put a loved one in care at some time, but that is not care
I hope that scum never works again
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 08:58 PM

I am so sorry for the distress caused to your friend, Carol. One wonders what would make someone who had chosen "caring as a profession" to act in that manner.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I've been chatting to a friend this afternoon whose husband has Alzheimers & is in a care home.

My friend was so distressed. One of the carers filmed her hubby having a pee & circulated the video amongst all her friends.

How sick can anybody be to do that to an elderly man?

The person was sacked and an investigation under way.

It makes me never want to let Tony out of my sight but I know one day I may have to.
What a horrible thing for anyone to do, Carol, I am glad she was sacked!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I heard that the Care Commission don't do random checks, but inform the care home of an impending visit. Is this true?
No, CQC can and do turn up unannounced, but usually after an inspection, although anyone who has any concerns can report their suspicions to them, they take it very seriously and can, and have closed care homes down...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I heard that the Care Commission don't do random checks, but inform the care home of an impending visit. Is this true?
I can well believe it, but that completely defeats the objective of such visits.

It's the same in teaching. OFSTED inspections are announced well in advance, giving staff time to change everything beforehand: planning, displays, lessons, even marking.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 01:19 AM

What sort of person does that? Making fun of an Alzheimer's sufferer is an absolute disgrace. She shouldn't be allowed to work in the care community ever again and she should be prosecuted.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Sacked is not enough in my book. I'd move heaven and earth to have her in court and face the real music.
I totally agree. It's absolutely unforgivable and sacking should be just the first step. Anyone who thinks it's good to have a laugh at the expense of the most vulnerable members of society should be named and shamed.
Petra
Essex
Petra is female  Petra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 12:55 PM

I'd be tempted to sort her out myself iykwim.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 02:05 PM

Hi

I am not going into a Nursing Home or a Hospice.

As soon as I need a catheter and or cannot wipe my bum I am out of here.

I am a scientist, it will be painless and very quick.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top