Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2017, 02:26 PM

Re: Car crashes into two horses and riders in Witcham (explicit video)

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Perhaps the local law regarding common land does not permit them .....
Actually horses are better catered for on our local common than anyone else, they can pretty much go where they like and dog walkers are banned from some bridle paths but horses can use any path they wish.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 11:48 PM

I missed this update but there was a follow-on item on TV today which prompted me to perform a search.

Witcham horse crash driver will not be prosecuted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-40134629

Follow the link for pictured of the recovering Patsy.

The driver was offered a Driver Alertness Course "in lieu of prosecution" which he took, and police said that was "the end of the matter".

The Driver Alertness Course is one of a number of "awareness" programmes offered under the National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme (NDORS) covering "low level moving traffic offences".

Aimed at motorists who have been involved in a minor collision - where the driving is careless or inconsiderate - the course lasts for one day and involves a mixture of classroom and on-road driving.

One of the horses, Patsy, needed 100 stitches to her neck and chest, and the other, Fleur, was bruised.

Three months later (in June), Patsy took her first hack on a road since the accident.

"She was a bit nervous, but we'd like to thank all the drivers who slowed down for her, which really helped her confidence," Jane Hart, from the equestrian centre said.
A one-day "awareness course" for crashing into horses and riders .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 10:37 AM

The judicial system these days is beyond a joke. There are countless examples of prosecutions for minor issues and lack of penalties for more serious things, as in this case.

I think we need a major clear-out of our judges, especially the doddery old ones.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The judicial system these days is beyond a joke. There are countless examples of prosecutions for minor issues and lack of penalties for more serious things, as in this case.

I think we need a major clear-out of our judges, especially the doddery old ones.
While I agree I feel sorry for some as the guidelines for sentencing is what they are following, given free choice they would be harsher.

It comes back time and again to lack of prison places.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 11:33 AM

Horse riders need to avoid busy roads and ride responsibly, unlike some of the idiots around here, who are likely to cause accidents.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Horse riders need to avoid busy roads and ride responsibly, unlike some of the idiots around here, who are likely to cause accidents.
Although I agree that horses can be a hazard on the road in this case, the driver was going too fast for the conditions. That could have been a child crossing the road.

It appears that driving too fast and crashing into two horses carries the same penalty as simply driving too fast. You can do 32 in a 30 zone and end up on the same course.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Although I agree that horses can be a hazard on the road in this case, the driver was going too fast for the conditions. That could have been a child crossing the road.

It appears that driving too fast and crashing into two horses carries the same penalty as simply driving too fast. You can do 32 in a 30 zone and end up on the same course.
Exactly. In my wife's case it was 37 in a 30 zone... on Christmas Eve with absolutely no-one about.

Speed cameras seem to take no notice of such factors and, as we all know, are usually put in place as primarily a money-raising method for local councils.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
How do you avoid busy roads - all roads are busy these days.
I live in a very horsey area and most horse riders do ride responsibly I am a rider myself - perhaps you can describe riding irresponsibly ?
After all they don't want to get killed either and someone on a horse - a living flesh and blood creature -is much more vulnerable than someone in a car.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-08-2017, 03:27 PM

Longdong was completely correct. The horse riders were behaving responsibly; the motorist was driving too fast around a corner and should have received the appropriate punishment.

Of course, we are talking about British courts!
Virgo
New Member!
Yorkshire, UK
Virgo is female 

24-08-2017, 03:46 PM

But it didn’t go to court – the driver was offered the course by the Police in lieu of being prosecuted so the Police decided it wasn’t serious enough. Don’t blame the court if they don’t get to see the case.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top