Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

15-10-2013, 01:38 PM

The Art Of Logical Thinking

Most people i meet are mostly adults,I meet them everywhere i go,and especially online,if I am talking to a person face to face I can immediately tell a lot about them by the way they talk (are they intelligent,or idiots) and their actions too give away a fair bit (do they drink,use drugs) and by the way they move about (are they sick,crippled)

But if i meet someone whose life revolves around soap operas on TV or they spend all day in the pub drinking then you get a glimpse into their basic character,you can tell a lot,a hell of a lot,i like to try and think logically all the time,and its an art form,lots of books have been written about it,but people still cannot or will not embrace it,why? mainly because we all have an ego,as you shall see by the answers i get ( if any) to this thread.
Logical thinking goes hand in hand with reason,being able to tie the two together in your daily life is something you never stop learning,yet people refuse to do it because they think they know everything about anything,that is the persons ego,people think their ego is the real you,its not,its a part of you that makes you an individual.

Heres a bit of interesting writing about logic and reasoning!

Logical Thinking: A Learned Mental Process
[Brain Thinking]

You have four blocks in front of you, a black one, a red one, a white one and a green one. You must remove two of them. You may not take away the red, the black and the white blocks simultaneously. You may not take away the white, the green and the red ones simultaneously. Which two blocks may be removed? To answer this puzzle you will need to think logically.

Logical thinking is the process in which one uses reasoning consistently to come to a conclusion. Problems or situations that involve logical thinking call for structure, for relationships between facts, and for chains of reasoning that “make sense.”

In his book Brain Building, Dr. Karl Albrecht says that the basis of all logical thinking is sequential thought. This process involves taking the important ideas, facts, and conclusions involved in a problem and arranging them in a chain-like progression that takes on a meaning in and of itself. To think logically is to think in steps.

It has been proven that specific training in logical thinking processes can make people “smarter.” Logical thinking allows a child to reject quick answers, such as “I don't know,” or “this is too difficult,” by empowering them to delve deeper into their thinking processes and understand better the methods used to arrive at a solution and even the solution itself.

Logical thinking is also an important foundational skill of math. “Learning mathematics is a highly sequential process,” says Dr. Albrecht. “If you don't grasp a certain concept, fact, or procedure, you can never hope to grasp others that come later, which depend upon it. For example, to understand fractions you must first understand division. To understand simple equations in algebra requires that you understand fractions. Solving `word problems’ depends on knowing how to set up and manipulate equations, and so on.”

Logical thinking is not a magical process or a matter of genetic endowment, but a learned mental process, he says.

Now is that not interesting?? or logical??

Billy
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2013, 01:59 PM

Re: The Art Of Logical Thinking

Crippled ? a rather old fashioned and insulting term, disabled is the term most people use so happily I may not be logical if it allows hatred and use of terms like that.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2013, 02:05 PM

I'm not into 'soaps' one bit - does that put me on the same level as you Billy ..... ?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2013, 02:59 PM

Most scientific discoveries were made by a combination of logic and intuition (intelligent guesswork). That's the "art" of science.
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

15-10-2013, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Crippled ? a rather old fashioned and insulting term, disabled is the term most people use so happily I may not be logical if it allows hatred and use of terms like that.
I am a cripple and if someone says i am a cripple then i agree with them?thats logical!
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

15-10-2013, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
I'm not into 'soaps' one bit - does that put me on the same level as you Billy ..... ?
Got no idea,how would i know anything about your life,or wether you watch soaps or not?
You know who and what you are,not me?
None of my business,logically how would i know the answer to that?
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

15-10-2013, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Most scientific discoveries were made by a combination of logic and intuition (intelligent guesswork). That's the "art" of science.
And??
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by billsteamshovel ->
And??
Good question BS.
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

15-10-2013, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Good question BS.
Well I suppose thats logical?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by billsteamshovel ->
I am a cripple and if someone says i am a cripple then i agree with them?thats logical!
You may be but most of us are disabled and do not want to be called cripples. Don't much care if that's logical or not it's just polite society not to offend people.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top