Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2013, 09:15 PM

Pageants

I read today about little girls from 5 years old entered in beauty pageants by their Mothers. Apparently they weren't supposed to wear make-up but most still wore lipstick, mascara, lip gloss and even fake nails. A 7 year old admitted entering one where she wore fishnets and bright red lipstick.
Another 8 year old girl said "I'll definitely be the winner because I am beautiful, funny and very ambitious". Her Mother was so desperate for her daughter to win, she can't pay her gas bill now because of the amount she spent on getting her daughter entered.
This wasn't America. It was organised by British people and staged at Disneyland Paris.
I can't explain how disgusted this type of competition makes me feel, and the pushy mothers disgust me even more - or am I too old fashioned?
What do you think about such events?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2013, 09:56 PM

Re: Pageants

TBH I don't like any sort of competition that compares children's or adult's beauty, by all means have contests but why not spelling, maths, drawing, painting etc why compare faces and bodies ?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2013, 10:09 PM

I fully agree Mups, let children be children not mini adults.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2013, 10:09 PM

I think that children of the age in question are the victims of overly ambitious mothers who don't allow them the 'normality' of childhood, but push them into situations which are far ahead of their emotional and physical maturity.

I'd be interested to see how these little ones look back on their childhood years in later life and whether they developed into rounded human beings.

Gwyn
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2013, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by AliceB ->
I think that children of the age in question are the victims of overly ambitious mothers who don't allow them the 'normality' of childhood, but push them into situations which are far ahead of their emotional and physical maturity.

I'd be interested to see how these little ones look back on their childhood years in later life and whether they developed into rounded human beings.

Gwyn

Perhaps that's how some of todays 'models' and 'celebrities' started off?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2013, 10:39 PM

Horrible!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2013, 10:53 PM

I can't for the life of me figure out why mothers do this to the kids, childhood is short enough as it is, let them enjoy it with other children of their own age and not parade them around like prize flowers at a show. There is something odd about a mother wanting her child to look all grown up, most mothers I know want their children to be as young as possible, dreading the day when they will be adult and have to leave them, but I suppose it takes all sorts to make a world.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2013, 11:47 PM

Let the Children play.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2013, 07:51 AM

Feel strongly about this !
Loathe - detest - abhor - the 'Mothers' ? Is that what they are ? !!!!!!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2013, 10:36 AM

I would make it illegal to parade young girls as though they were young women, it gives completely the wrong idea to the very worst of people and, ultimately, to the little girls themselves: that they are nothing if they are not a glamorous clotheshanger.

Then again, I feel the same about all beauty competitions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top