Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

06-06-2020, 11:08 PM

Re: Old BritComs

Originally Posted by Buzzzer ->
Since most of you are British, I have to say that I enjoy watching the old British Comedies. The quality of the characters and brilliance of the actors and actresses are just amazing and hilarious.

Mr. Bean, who turns every situation into an adventure, Are You Being Served, with Mrs. Slocumb talking about her "cat" , Fawlty Towers, One Foot In The Grave, To The Manor Born, Good Neighbors, and Keeping Up Appearances with Hyacinth Bucket (it's Bouquet)!

I could name more, but I'm going to have some tea with my royal doultons with the hand-painted periwinkles!
Swannie likes this.
Yes Buzzer I am not a Brit but I grew up with some of these classics. The top of the list for me of 70s shows was the inimitable John Cleese and Fawlty Towers. Only 12 episodes made and every one a gem. Whenever I fancy a good old belly laff I will drag out an episode of FT. Likewise with Victor and Margaret in One Foot. I have watched every episode at least five times and never tire of it.
Buzzzer
USA
Buzzzer is male  Buzzzer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Swannie148 ->
Swannie likes this.
Yes Buzzer I am not a Brit but I grew up with some of these classics. The top of the list for me of 70s shows was the inimitable John Cleese and Fawlty Towers. Only 12 episodes made and every one a gem. Whenever I fancy a good old belly laff I will drag out an episode of FT. Likewise with Victor and Margaret in One Foot. I have watched every episode at least five times and never tire of it.
Great shows indeed. Even the side characters are hilarious. Like Onslow, Emmet and Elizabeth in Keeping Up Appearances, Mrs. Bale, Rocky and Madge in As Time Goes By, the staff at Grace Brothers in Are You Being Served..to name a few.
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

08-06-2020, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I never liked Fawlty Towers (aka Flowery Twats) because of Cleese or One Foot In The Grave (Meldrew reminds me so much of my very bigoted ex-FiL) but the others are v. funny.

Has The Royle Family or Gavin & Stacey made it across the pond yet? These are two more that tickled my funny bone.
Not that I can recall. I have to disagree with you over John Cleese and Richard Wilson. Without those two fine comedic actors both shows w'd never have tasted the success they did.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top