Join for free
Page 360 of 505 « First < 260 310 350 358 359 360 361 362 370 410 460 > Last »
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 10:37 PM

Re: Chinese Coronavirus

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
When I say that our governments were warned about a coming plague, I mean to say that we had years and years of warnings. Certainly long before we ever heard of Covid-19.

In my opinion, to not stockpile hundreds of millions of face masks is nothing short of criminal negligence. Will the next administrations learn anything from this pandemic ? No ! I doubt it. When this pandemic has run its course, it will be back to "business as usual".

It is passed time that the people rise up by the millions and demand that our governments stockpile PPE's in sufficient quantities to deal with any future pandemic. This pandemic is bad enough, but the next one could be MUCH, MUCH worse. There is no telling what China will release upon us the next time. Heaven knows that many nations have germs and viruses so horrible, that make Covid-19 look like the common cold.

Supposedly, we the people of the U.S. and the U.K are 1st world nations and not some backward banana republic. Why we did not, at the 1st hint of this virus, raise the drawbridges, and slam shut the gates, totally escapes me. The only reason I can think of is ineptitude on a massive scale.
I think we should stop considering the US and UK to be the top-dogs of the world while making deprecating comments about countries such as Korea and Taiwan. The latter have proved their preparedness to the world and we should be taking their advice in future.

As for China..........there's nothing I like about the madman Trump (although his madness is in itself a realistic and handy threat to some) but Trumps use of the "Chinese Virus" and references for China to make some kind of admission/apology/explanation is brilliant! Personally I think we should have economic sanctions against China...........I would be very happy to see their economy suffer!!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2020, 04:24 AM

In my opinion, to not stockpile hundreds of millions of face masks is nothing short of criminal negligence. Will the next administrations learn anything from this pandemic ? No ! I doubt it. When this pandemic has run its course, it will be back to "business as usual".
As it happens I think countries do have such stockpiles, Australia certainly did BUT they were severely depleted by the mega bushfires along the east coast early in the year when they had to be used because of the smoke pollution. Fortunately local industries were able to produce masks but there was a shortage at one stage early on.

It is also true that countries do have pandemic rehearsals on a regular basis again Australia did but after the 2008 exercise didn't run another and this lack of practice may well have caused the Ruby Princess incident and the mixed messaging coming from the PM (Scotty from Marketing) in the early stages of Australia's response.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2020, 05:34 AM

Global Cases 5,405,186
Global Deaths 343,983

Australia
Cases 7,114
Deaths 102
Critical 5
Cases per Million 279

UK
Cases 257,154
Deaths 36,675
Critical 1,559
Cases per Million 3,790

USA
Cases 1,666,828
Deaths 98,683
Critical 17,133
Cases per Million 5,039

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2020, 12:03 AM

I saw on the evening news that the first clinical trial of a Covid-19 vaccine on humans is now underway. This vaccine was previously tested on monkeys and the monkeys did not get Covid-19 when they were injected with the virus 30 days AFTER the vaccine.

So far, it appears that humans do not have any side effects from the vaccine. Since it would be unethical to deliberately expose humans to the virus, only time will tell how effective it truly is. However it is looking very good.

When will the vaccine be ready for mass inoculations ? Scientists are hoping that mass inoculations will begin late this year.

Sorry, I have no link. I only heard it on the nightly nationwide TV news.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

25-05-2020, 05:39 AM

Global Cases 5,500,679
Global Deaths 346,721

Australia
Cases 7,114
Deaths 102
Critical 5
Cases per Million 279

UK
Cases 259,559
Deaths 36,793
Critical 1,559
Cases per Million 3,825

USA
Cases 1,686,436
Deaths 99,300
Critical 17,135
Cases per Million 5,098

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Today was the first day of full time NSW state schooling since the crisis started. Interestingly the local station car park still only contained a dozen or so cars (normally it is full of Sydney commuter's cars) so either people are avoiding public transport or they are not returning to work yet.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2020, 07:02 AM

I saw on the evening news that the first clinical trial of a Covid-19 vaccine on humans is now underway. This vaccine was previously tested on monkeys and the monkeys did not get Covid-19 when they were injected with the virus 30 days AFTER the vaccine.

So far, it appears that humans do not have any side effects from the vaccine. Since it would be unethical to deliberately expose humans to the virus, only time will tell how effective it truly is. However it is looking very good.

When will the vaccine be ready for mass inoculations ? Scientists are hoping that mass inoculations will begin late this year.

Sorry, I have no link. I only heard it on the nightly nationwide TV news.
They should use the prison population - especially murderers/rapists/terrorists/child molesters - not just for C19 but any new vaccines. It could act as a deterrent .

Anyway - good to know there is light at the end of the tunnel!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2020, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
They should use the prison population - especially murderers/rapists/terrorists/child molesters - not just for C19 but any new vaccines. It could act as a deterrent .

Trouble is Tabby, if it works and we all die of corona before they get the vaccine to us, the world will be full of murderers/rapists/terrorists and child molesters....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2020, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Trouble is Tabby, if it works and we all die of corona before they get the vaccine to us, the world will be full of murderers/rapists/terrorists and child molesters....
Isnt it allready OGF??

Donkeyman! 👎👎
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

25-05-2020, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

I don't think there is much light at the moment these are very early days. Remember the much heralded and promising Oxford trial was started on monkeys and was abandoned because all the monkeys became infected with Covid19.

It is more media hype and wishful thinking than science at the moment. There are bound to be more disappointments before either a vaccine or an effective treatment is found.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2020, 03:44 PM

The Marrsbar interviewed the boss of AstraZeneca yesterday about this vaccine trial. He said they are making provisions for 100,000,000 shots to be available in the UK by September if it works. Their other factories around the world will be making shed-loads more for their local markets. He said that the cost/shot to the NHS will be no more than £2 and that will cover the manufacturing and distribution costs only. Here's a DM link to the interview:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...a-insists.html

Page 360 of 505 « First < 260 310 350 358 359 360 361 362 370 410 460 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top