Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 02:06 PM

Have You Ever Found A Squirrel In Your Water?

I have a dustbin that was brand new next to my greenhouse. It catches the rainwater dripping from the guttering around the greenhouse.

For some days now l have been dipping my watering can, sometimes without gloves, into the dustbin of water, to water my plants in the greenhouse.

With the hot weather recently, the level of rainwater has diminished. The water has also started to turn green and a bit smelly.

I took a closer look at the water and noticed ‘a mass’ that was black. I presumed that it was algae but decided to prod it with a stick.
It was rock hard and l realised it must be a decomposing animal.
Later, l decided it couldn’t stay in there and l must tip it out and dispose of it.
I felt ill as l tipped the dustbin and the black ‘animal’ fell out. I thought it was a young cat but got the hose to hose it down to get some idea of what it was.

I hosed it down and saw that it had blue eyes and a face like a rat, a giant rat. I felt ill and needed a parent!
Then l hosed its body and long thick tail and decided it was a squirrel.
I couldn’t leave it by the greenhouse as l couldn’t bear to keep looking at it, so l scooped it onto a shovel and threw it over by the bushes.
It was still there yesterday but today it has gone. I expect a Fox has taken it? I hope it hasn’t made it ill as it was decomposed.

So l ask, have you ever found a squirrel or any other animal in your water?
I thought most animals could at least kept afloat?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 02:11 PM

Re: Have You Ever Found A Squirrel In Your Water?

I've passed a few odd things including a couple of stones (ouch!) but a squirrel? Surely you remembered eating it?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I've passed a few odd things including a couple of stones (ouch!) but a squirrel? Surely you remembered eating it?
Oh yes, l do now. It was the same night l had the baked hedgehog!
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 02:15 PM

Sounds like you need a lid fixing to the top of your barrel and some gutter piping to catch the dripping water and feed it down into the barrel this will stop rodents from having midnight dips,

Don't worry about the Squirrel he's past worrying about
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

28-05-2020, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->
Sounds like you need a lid fixing to the top of your barrel and some gutter piping to catch the dripping water and feed it down into the barrel this will stop rodents from having midnight dips,

Don't worry about the Squirrel he's past worrying about
Basser, this is the first time in 16 years that it has happened. Maybe, it was blown out of a tree in the gales or was just going skinny dipping!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 02:20 PM

Found a mouse once .. and had visions of it swimming around and around until it got exhausted.
It's not very nice to find a drowned beastie.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Found a mouse once .. and had visions of it swimming around and around until it got exhausted.
It's not very nice to find a drowned beastie.
As long as it's bipedal and on the shore of the English channel I'm fine by it.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 02:28 PM

There was a baby Blackbird in our fish pond a few years ago. I scooped it out and left it next to the pond for a while so that its mother could see what had happened to it, in case she was looking for it ...
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have a dustbin that was brand new next to my greenhouse. It catches the rainwater dripping from the guttering around the greenhouse.

For some days now l have been dipping my watering can, sometimes without gloves, into the dustbin of water, to water my plants in the greenhouse.

With the hot weather recently, the level of rainwater has diminished. The water has also started to turn green and a bit smelly.

I took a closer look at the water and noticed ‘a mass’ that was black. I presumed that it was algae but decided to prod it with a stick.
It was rock hard and l realised it must be a decomposing animal.
Later, l decided it couldn’t stay in there and l must tip it out and dispose of it.
I felt ill as l tipped the dustbin and the black ‘animal’ fell out. I thought it was a young cat but got the hose to hose it down to get some idea of what it was.

I hosed it down and saw that it had blue eyes and a face like a rat, a giant rat. I felt ill and needed a parent!
Then l hosed its body and long thick tail and decided it was a squirrel.
I couldn’t leave it by the greenhouse as l couldn’t bear to keep looking at it, so l scooped it onto a shovel and threw it over by the bushes.
It was still there yesterday but today it has gone. I expect a Fox has taken it? I hope it hasn’t made it ill as it was decomposed.

So l ask, have you ever found a squirrel or any other animal in your water?
I thought most animals could at least kept afloat?

Yes Arty, l have found an african wild cat and a coucal bird at the
same time in the same water butt once! And some bats in another
That had fallen down the down pipe into the butt!
And in 12,000 liitre plastic pond l used for the horses l found one
of my hens who happened to be overweight floating one morning
( dead of course)! And in the same pond l found a small buck
swimming one morning as well, it was quite a job to get him out!

Donkeyman! 😀😀
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 02:33 PM

Not anything furry, but my friend's husband fished a dead puff adder out out the swimming pool when I lived in S. Africa.

I went to make a second round of teas for Art Club members and found a large stewed spider in the kettle, we all felt rather ill afterwards.

Pity your squirrel was waterlogged Art, you could've had it stuffed "rampant".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top