Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 09:15 PM

Underlying Health Conditions - Covid 19

I understand that people with underlying health conditions fall into two groups - group 1 being those with various health conditions but who have NOT had a letter from the NHS telling them to self-isolate.

Does anyone know what the current situation is for those in Group One?
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2020, 08:41 AM

Re: Underlying Health Conditions - Covid 19

I'm in group one,asthmatic am I but not having a incident in two yrs I was obviously not in the highest risk,I practised and still do social distancing but am back at work after 4 weeks furlough,we are able to distance in my job,good hygiene and distancing helped I'm sure but saying that here in the southwest we have been relatively lucky whilst realising there have been deaths,so I would say carry on as best you can if in group 1, don't let the bastards grind you down.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2020, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I understand that people with underlying health conditions fall into two groups - group 1 being those with various health conditions but who have NOT had a letter from the NHS telling them to self-isolate.

Does anyone know what the current situation is for those in Group One?
I don't know about two groups ...

I think some of us are getting more letters, texts, emails and phone calls than others. It may depend upon your Healthcare Trust.

I thought I was "at risk", until recently when I had a call (scheduled last November) from my Haematology Consultant ... he said my condition comes under the Blood Cancer umbrella, but although I'm on a chemo drug to kill off blood cells I don't have cancer. My immune system is OK.

There is some confusion. I think to an extent, we have to do what we think is right for us. Also ... is the average 70 y.o. any different to the average 69 y.o.?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2020, 10:00 AM

I guess there has to a cut-off line somewhere for ages.

caricature - can I please have confirmation that you were not told to isolate and did not get a letter or text?

I think the advice yesterday included a message to those who had been told to isolate, by the NHS, to continue isolating for the time being. But no advice was given about others with health conditions - so there's some confusion as to what should be done.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2020, 10:38 AM

Hi Lindy I class 'group one ' as the clinically extremely vulnerable as set out here...

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-from-covid-19

As far as I am aware nothing has changed in the advice for them and the shielding continues. It was mentioned in the PMs statement yesterday that more information for this category would be coming soon.

Group 2 the vulnerable that is over 70s (and pregnant women) with or without health issues and they are to be allowed some relaxation as described here..

Can I meet my parents and grandparents?
Yes you can, as long as they are not in the “shielding” category. From Monday, you can meet five other people at any one time, as long as it is in an outdoor space and social distancing is maintained. That means any two people from different households must stay two metres apart, though any groupings who live in the same house don’t need to socially distance from each other.

Over-70s can be among them, as long as they take “extra care” with social distancing, hand-washing and touching hard surfaces where the virus might linger.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...nes-update-uk/
Group 3 is everyone else..
Lindyloo
isle of wight

29-05-2020, 10:42 AM

Thanks very much Meg, that clarifies the situation for me.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2020, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I guess there has to a cut-off line somewhere for ages.

caricature - can I please have confirmation that you were not told to isolate and did not get a letter or text?

I think the advice yesterday included a message to those who had been told to isolate, by the NHS, to continue isolating for the time being. But no advice was given about others with health conditions - so there's some confusion as to what should be done.
Nope no letter,glad I didn't it would have been a dilemma.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

29-05-2020, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Nope no letter,glad I didn't it would have been a dilemma.
Thanks
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 09:27 AM

What are the rules for me as the husband of a shielded wife?

Am I supposed to apply the same rule to myself and stay at home on the grounds that we are of the same household ..and if I do go out, I might go out and bring the virus back to a vulnerable person?
Lindyloo
isle of wight

30-05-2020, 09:34 AM

minimise all non-essential contact with other members of their household

See: https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses...d-19-shielding

That's Scotland......if you're in England you have stay two metres away!!

The people I know who are shielding - the whole household is supposed to isolate - no one in, no one out. ..........but I know they sneak out at times!!

You can phone and helpline and ask for someone to help with shopping etc. Prescriptions can be delivered for shielding people, but NOT for all vulnerable people!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top