Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2020, 04:47 PM

Re: Food waste

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Did they eat the toilet rolls?
Not until they'd been used a couple of times!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2020, 04:48 PM

No waste here either, we only buy what we eat.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2020, 05:25 PM

You're all very good!
I bet some who cleared the supermarkets had lots of waste.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2020, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Not waste, the assorted wildlife round our place eat just about anything we leave out for them. In the case of the badgers they come scratching at the door, the vixen has taken to bringing her six kits on the lawn and the lot of them come up when we're in the Summerhouse. Various birds come down and eat anything that fits in their beaks and the garden blackbird regularly flies down on our shoulders and squarks for suet and mealworms. Waste? Some hope. Too many gobs to be fed!
Food left outside also attracts vermin.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 08:50 AM

I'm always throwing stuff out....shameful really I need to take control.

Tess I bought some weird stuff just before lockdown I have no idea what for....it was not knowing how bad things would be I suppose and believing some of the scare stories in the press....that'll teach me
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 08:52 AM

Hi

The only food waste I have is onion peel and trimmings, they do not compost.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I'm always throwing stuff out....shameful really I need to take control.

Tess I bought some weird stuff just before lockdown I have no idea what for....it was not knowing how bad things would be I suppose and believing some of the scare stories in the press....that'll teach me
I think if you couldn't get what you normally eat you buy things to try.
I have Chicken soup, no idea why, at least I can pass it on.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 09:56 AM

I hate food waste. Why buy it, just to chuck it away? I did buy extras at the start of the Lockdown but l made sure it was food with a good sell-by date.

Any leftovers, l freeze for another time. It’s amazing how many ‘bits’ can be useful.
My motto is, Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves!

I did put a whole overripe banana on the lawn for my hens yesterday but they weren’t interested. I went into the house, came out and it was gone.
It must have been a crow or a magpie but l bet it looked funny flying around with a banana in its beak!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Food left outside also attracts vermin.
Living in the countryside changes how wildlife is viewed. For us a fox isn't vermin - well as long as you don't keep chickens - but is a means of keeping the rat population in check. A set of badgers is fun. Rabbits can be destructive but foxes also keep that population in check too and various types of mice provide an important food source for birds with curved beaks. Even rats provide an important service by being carrion eaters.

Vermin? Need to go to places like London to see that.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

30-05-2020, 10:44 AM

Mostly bread goes in my food bin. I don't have room for a proper freezer and don't eat much bread. It seems to go off quickly and the use by dates are very short.
I find Aldi rustic half loaves last longest.
Even those cook it yourself rolls, you have to use quickly once opened.
The supermarkets seem to only stock larger tins of soups, spaghetti and beans now too.

I put my banana skins or ones that are over-ripe, under my rhododendrons and azaleas, they get nitrogen from them. (I think).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top