Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 07:13 AM

What Are We, An Afterthought??

Just switched the Morning News on to hear that as from tomorrow, the elderly who have been shielding, i.e. the most vulnerable, will be allowed to go out as from tomorrow, Monday. What? How come this wasn't announced with the others earlier in the week?

Considering that there are still 8000 confirmed new cases every day, I personally feel this is too soon. Surely it should be done in stages. Even SAGE, the scientists involved, are stating this is a very dangerous moment.

Methinks we will not be taking any risks yet and staying put.

How about you?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 07:21 AM

Re: What Are We, An Afterthought??

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Just switched the Morning News on to hear that as from tomorrow, the elderly who have been shielding, i.e. the most vulnerable, will be allowed to go out as from tomorrow, Monday. What? How come this wasn't announced with the others earlier in the week?

Considering that there are still 8000 confirmed new cases every day, I personally feel this is too soon. Surely it should be done in stages. Even SAGE, the scientists involved, are stating this is a very dangerous moment.

Methinks we will not be taking any risks yet and staying put.

How about you?
Hi

Spot on SG.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 07:28 AM

Have to admit although I have visited family and pals in their gardens....I keep my distance...my daughter isn't happy that I'm being a bit more sociable and keeps telling me it's too early....we do our best don't we. I'll never please everyone.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 07:48 AM

Nothing has changed Imo, from the start some folks lived by the rules, and some flouted them, this will continue to be the case, you've just got to follow your instinct, regardless of directives.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Nothing has changed Imo, from the start some folks lived by the rules, and some flouted them, this will continue to be the case, you've just got to follow your instinct, regardless of directives.
I agree.

I have my own rules, go out but don't talk to anyone within 2 metres and don't touch anything. Staying 2 metres away at all times is not possible.

I might go on a bus today for the first time since January, if I do, I'll wear a mask for the first time ever. It's a proper mask 3M.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 08:28 AM

You probably don't want to hear this but here it is anyway. What instinct is that exactly?..The attitude that reads something like "I don't care what the bloody politicians or the so called bloody experts say..I'm going to do just what I want. Just try to stop me..yada yada"..SUre it is a good thing to stand up for your rights but what about the rights of others you might infect or who's lives you put in danger by "doing exactly what you want"..In the face of this kind of threat it takes everybody doing the right thing to beat it. IT's not a matter of choice or instinct. It plain, simple dangerous scientific fact. Australia achieved excellent results in controlling COVID by acting early, closing state borders and implementing social distancing early and comprehensively. With a pretty conscientious effort from everybody we have managed to keep the total mortality rate down to just over 100 from a population of 26 million. That is 40% of the population of the UK and 8 % of the population of the USA. I'll leave the rest of the comparative math to you. So all in all we know well that we have given as good a shot as any other country in the developed world and I am bloody proud of that. I pity the poor buggers of the rest of the less fortunate countries. And the only news I see from overseas is about one aberrant day on Bondi Beach when too many people gathered on that closed beach and were quickly told to bugger off by the surf lifesaving authorities and the police. Made my blood boil. As I have said a few times before on various threads here, it's all about attitude optimism. You say "NOthing will change" and I guess it never will if that's your attitude. I've asked this before but is that the attude Brits had when they were being threatened by the little twerp with the silly haircut and his bunch of psychotic thugs? No..you said we will beat you you little scumbag. And you did. Because you had faith in yourself. THis is a another war that needs faith and a belief that a whole country team effort will win out.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 08:36 AM

Hi

This purely Political, a reaction to Cummings.

We are being lied to.

We do not have a world beating track and trace system.

That is simply a Boris lie.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 08:49 AM

''Allowed to go out'' doesn't really explain it fully there are restrictions.

Those with families will be able to go out once a day with members of their household.

People living alone can meet one other person from another household while maintaining social distancing.

The guidance - in place for 10 weeks - had indicated shielding measures would remain until 30 June.

Support for shielders, such as food and medicine deliveries, will continue.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52862440
Although I have health issues that some days affect my ability to breath or do much at all I am not classed as the clinically 'most' vulnerable category which suites me fine, I can read the known facts about C19 and statistics and make up my own mind.

I went into 'lockdown' before most people in early March after a bout of bronchitis and having already guessed what was coming .
I know a lot of people can't wait to get out of lockdown but for me the daily recorded cases (many are asymptomatic so not recorded) of C19 are still too high as is the death rate so I am not in any hurry to change my existing self imposed isolation (which still allows for long solitary walks in the fields).

The behaviour I have witnessed from local people over the last few weeks (including mass barbeques) after an intended relaxation was announced doesn't give me any confidence at all that we have managed to contain C19.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 08:49 AM

I will not be doing anything new. Every time I go out, to the grocery store, bank, etc. I assume that every person has the virus and I do my level best to avoid them by staying 2 meters apart. Naturally, I wear a mask whenever I go inside somewhere. Probably the most dangerous thing I do is to go on the bus, but if it looks like I will not be able to maintain distance, due to too many people, I wait for the next bus.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. I carry a bottle of rubbing alcohol EVERYWHERE to cleanse my hands … often.

Dine-in restaurants ? Going to be a very long time before I do that again.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
You probably don't want to hear this but here it is anyway. What instinct is that exactly?..The attitude that reads something like "I don't care what the bloody politicians or the so called bloody experts say..I'm going to do just what I want. Just try to stop me..yada yada"..SUre it is a good thing to stand up for your rights but what about the rights of others you might infect or who's lives you put in danger by "doing exactly what you want"..In the face of this kind of threat it takes everybody doing the right thing to beat it. IT's not a matter of choice or instinct. It plain, simple dangerous scientific fact. Australia achieved excellent results in controlling COVID by acting early, closing state borders and implementing social distancing early and comprehensively. With a pretty conscientious effort from everybody we have managed to keep the total mortality rate down to just over 100 from a population of 26 million. That is 40% of the population of the UK and 8 % of the population of the USA. I'll leave the rest of the comparative math to you. So all in all we know well that we have given as good a shot as any other country in the developed world and I am bloody proud of that. I pity the poor buggers of the rest of the less fortunate countries. And the only news I see from overseas is about one aberrant day on Bondi Beach when too many people gathered on that closed beach and were quickly told to bugger off by the surf lifesaving authorities and the police. Made my blood boil. As I have said a few times before on various threads here, it's all about attitude optimism. You say "NOthing will change" and I guess it never will if that's your attitude. I've asked this before but is that the attude Brits had when they were being threatened by the little twerp with the silly haircut and his bunch of psychotic thugs? No..you said we will beat you you little scumbag. And you did. Because you had faith in yourself. THis is a another war that needs faith and a belief that a whole country team effort will win out.
I think you grossly overreacted to Spitty's post keezoy.....
I believe what Spitty meant was; even if Boris tells you it's safe for the vulnerable to go out, if you don't feel comfortable with that, then stay in lockdown for a little longer. Although there are no directives to wear a mask, it's up to the individual to decide. And even if you don't believe the hype, respect someone else's space. At the end of the day only you are ultimately responsible for your wellbeing, no matter what Boris or anybody else says.

It's got nothing to do with attitude, people are what they are and if you are realistic then Spitty is right. You can't force everyone to think and act like you keezoy. As long as people don't break the law they will do whatever they want.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top