Join for free
Page 365 of 505 « First < 265 315 355 363 364 365 366 367 375 415 465 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 06:17 AM

Re: Chinese Coronavirus

Hi

We are one of the most affected and questions need to be asked.

The economic cost will also be much higher than that in other countries.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Yes, questions definitely do need to be asked. The problem though will I feel, be the same as any other past inquiry where questions are asked, it's the time it takes to get the answers. Look at the Grenfell Tower fire and Hillsborough Stadium disaster for examples of this:

The Grenfell Tower fire inquiry commenced 15 June 2017 and is still in progress:

https://www.grenfelltowerinquiry.org.uk/about

The Hillsborough Stadium disaster – following the inquiry, getting justice for those who died took nearly 30 years. It took from April 1989 until June 2017, for charges to be brought against certain individuals for their alleged part in this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Report

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster

The link below gives some idea of the time frame of how long it took for justice to be eventually obtained for those who died:

https://www.theweek.co.uk/hillsborou...orough-inquest
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Don't forget this thing is not over, as restrictions are being eased there is bound to be the "2nd Wave" in every country with the pandemic. How the governments cope with this will be as important as their response to the initial outbreak.

Personally I am very surprised at the death toll in the UK firstly because Italy warned of the potential consequences and then compared with other wealthy European countries like Germany. As well as asking what went wrong the question needs to be asked, "Is the NHS fit for purpose?"
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 11:32 AM

could this explain why the UK has suffered worse than say Australia.
Isolation is the key in my opinion, and Australia is divided into states that appear to be individually managed. Because there are limited entry and exit points to these states (especially the cities) and because everyone lives around the edges of the country, it would be very easy to isolate each state and control the spread of the virus more effectively.

I have posted road maps of Sydney and London. Because England is very small compared to Australia, the road networks in England (especially into and out of London) are vast and it would be virtually impossible to isolate each county, let alone London....

Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 11:41 AM

We should look at Japan. Population 124 million, some very large cities, low level of lockdown but fewer than 1000 deaths.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
could this explain why the UK has suffered worse than say Australia.
Isolation is the key in my opinion, and Australia is divided into states that appear to be individually managed. Because there are limited entry and exit points to these states (especially the cities) and because everyone lives around the edges of the country, it would be very easy to isolate each state and control the spread of the virus more effectively.
This is a nonsense comparison in my opinion.

Look at Malaysia (32 Million population) has had similar results to Australia even after a dodgy start with a religious gathering. They have a high population density and complex road system yet their figures are very similar to Australia.

Cases 7819
Deaths 115
Critical 9
Cases per Million 242

Or Singapore with a population density 10 times that of the UK and a ferocious 2nd wave after a good start.

Cases 34,884
Deaths 23
Critical 7
Cases per million 5,967

Both countries with widely varying population density yet their deaths per million of population are similar and only 0.7% those of the UK (4 compared to 566).

I can't understand all these attempts to let the UK government off the hook with almost any straw clutching excuse, the government/health service's performance has been appalling with an outcome worse than their much despised Italy for example. I find it unbelievable that UK citizens have been let down so badly. If I still lived there I would be extremely angry at how poorly this pandemic has been handled and certainly not looking around for excuses but seeking to know, WHY?.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
We should look at Japan. Population 124 million, some very large cities, low level of lockdown but fewer than 1000 deaths.
How is that possible? Im not convinced wirld figures are correct.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
How is that possible? Im not convinced wirld figures are correct.
Also Malaysia and Singapore both hot countries, there are hardly any flu epidemics in blighty in the summer....
Did someone post that the virus can't survive over a certain temperature...?

And could it be that our NHS can keep people going long into old age when they would have passed away long ago in some other country where the health service is admission only with cash....Look at the USA
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 03:37 PM

Sorry to sound like a wet blanket but I don,t think we will ever get over this virus. it is here to stay . As to how many deaths it will cause. No-one knows or will ever know. Fiddling figures is a favourite 'sport' among those running things in this country. They tell us only what they want us to hear.
IMO another pandemic is on the way and this is why they are stock piling PPE for the future.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Also Malaysia and Singapore both hot countries, there are hardly any flu epidemics in blighty in the summer....
Did someone post that the virus can't survive over a certain temperature...?

And could it be that our NHS can keep people going long into old age when they would have passed away long ago in some other country where the health service is admission only with cash....Look at the USA
And both countries have a high proportion of Chinese descendants too. What I found interesting when working over there was most of the Chinese descendants wore masks during and after the SARS outbreak. They were still wearing masks when I last went in November 2012 just before I retired. I have no reason to suspect they have changed their habits in the meantime and this alone could explain why the mortality rates there are on the low side.

Page 365 of 505 « First < 265 315 355 363 364 365 366 367 375 415 465 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top