Will it cause a lot of suffering and harm? 16 76.19%
Is it caused by human activity? 12 57.14%
Would anything convince you one way or another? 6 28.57%
Is there anything we can do to improve the climate? 10 47.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 01:27 PM

Climate change poll

With so much politically motivated tosh out there I just wanted to know what members think...
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 01:30 PM

Re: Climate change poll

It's changing.
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 01:38 PM

In my case the reason I believe the scientists is because I have seen it with my own eyes in my lifetime.
1) The coral reefs are getting permanently bleached
2) The arctic ice is receding
3) Glaciers in New Zealand are melting

Now why would anyone not believe the scientists?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 03:34 PM

Interesting questions, but the third one should read, "Exacerbated" rather than caused. As is, I have to vote no since the earth's climate is always changing and we are obvious in a warming period.

We didn't cause the changes, we are just creating enough emissions to press the accelerator down a little further.

Whether anthropogenic or not, warming avg. temps are already causing harm.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 03:43 PM

Normal Feb in the UK frezzing my Bollocks off.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
It's changing.
Yes & we aren't helping.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Normal Feb in the UK frezzing my Bollocks off.
Yep, can't argue with that.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 01:58 AM

In terms of climate change being caused by us, I'm not convinced, nor am I convinced we will fix it by rewinding. However, plastic in fish, pollution, bee decline, acid rain, erosion of the coral reefs, destruction of the Amazon and other rainforests, turning swathes of land into dessert. Yes we are guilty of royally crewing up the planet in ways that we certainly can reverse.

Recall that we had pea soupers caused by pollution and stagnant, barren rivers not that long ago. We see the effects of our abuse when they are obvious. I read today that they plan to stop selling coal and wet wood for wood burners. I was amazed that they are still around.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:08 AM

With the exception of line #4 (would anything change my opinion) I would tick the rest.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 12:18 PM

We live on a lump of rock with a molten core, affected by our local star (The Sun) and by the gravitational pull of our satellite (The Moon). We are also subject to occasional impacts from meteorites. These four factors are the primary causes of the earth's constantly changing climate and our influence upon them is nil. Compared with those factors, "man made global warming" is pretty insignificant. What we have done however, is screw up our environment pretty effectively - which is something we can and should do something about.
My top bugbear in all this is the ridiculous demonisation of carbon dioxide - a precious gas without which the earth would die. Without carbon dioxide there would be no oxygen and no plants and therefore no animals (including humans). The solution to the "carbon" issue is pretty simple - plant more trees, more plants and stop concreting over every square inch of the earth's surface.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top