Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2020, 01:26 PM

Landscaping my garden

I wondering if it's possible to use this stay-at-home time to landscape my garden. Does anyone know of useful online tools or websites with ideas I can use to plan what I'd like to do?

I have a few essentials in mind - to achieve a garden which is easier to maintain than it is at present, which I think will involve getting rid of the main area of lawn. There is a smaller area of lawn, which I'm inclined to reduce in size by making the flower beds deeper and perhaps using artificial grass...........because the garden backs onto a nature reserve - which is lovely but there are badger sets just the other side of my boundary. I've spent the last ten years battling to keep the lawn looking good after the badgers tear it up and the only real solution has been the electric fence I installed a couple of years ago - which is great, but looks hideous, and I keep tripping over it!!!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2020, 03:12 PM

Re: Landscaping my garden

Are you planning to do the work yourself Lindy?, taking up a lawn is no mean feat, even a small one is hard work!, if you are getting someone in then they may be able to plan what you need, other than that check out some gardening forums or magazines or better still you tube might give you some ideas
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2020, 03:49 PM

I'd like to do some of the work, but having taken up the turf last year from a small patch in the front garden - I won't do taking up the whole of the back lawn!!!

Thanks for those suggestions, I'll keep an eye out for gardening magazines and look at youtube too.

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2020, 04:03 PM

Let me know how you get on Lindy
I want to do mine too I need some ideas.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2020, 04:46 PM

Just a suggestion why not just plant in plugs of wildflowers into one of your lawns and let it become a wildflower garden
Other than that you could cut your lawn back and cover with black felt/weed repressant and cover with a nice gravel on it
Lindyloo
isle of wight

22-03-2020, 05:02 PM

Muddy - look forward to exchanging ideas with you.

Kazz - the wildflower garden sounds great but is extremely difficult to do (I tried before in my previous house). As for weed suppressant and gravel - that's a possible way forward but I suspect badgers would dig that up and it would be great to get rid of the electric fence!
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2020, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Muddy - look forward to exchanging ideas with you.

Kazz - the wildflower garden sounds great but is extremely difficult to do (I tried before in my previous house). As for weed suppressant and gravel - that's a possible way forward but I suspect badgers would dig that up and it would be great to get rid of the electric fence!
Ahhhh never factored in badgers - Good luck post some picture when you get going and before.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

23-03-2020, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kazz ->
Ahhhh never factored in badgers - Good luck post some picture when you get going and before.
I'll take some photos soon and have a bit more of a think. I wondered if I could use your idea of weed suppressant and gravel for a larger area than just pathways, but that area is on a slope, so I'd need some way of stopping the gravel slipping down.

Had a few other things I've had to get done, and must spend more time on those tomorrow, but soon after........
Lindyloo
isle of wight

24-03-2020, 06:28 PM

West side of garden - left hand side looking from house.

The last photo is the badger sett - just behind the shed at the back (in a nature reserve).

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200324_160752081.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	12001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200324_160734931.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	12002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200324_161016877.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	12004  
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2020, 06:31 PM

Lindy your garden looks pretty good already mine is pretty bare I need a design .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top