Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2020, 01:09 PM

Re: Greta Pops up Again.

I'm sure she's sincere, and means well, but I'd have more respect for her if she didn't model herself on Wednesday Addams
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2020, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Who cares whether it's a faked photo or not, I still think it's funny.
Hear, hear!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2020, 02:46 PM

It looks like her and the Chinese government saying this was just wishful thinking on someone's part. Thank goodness for Snopes. That aside, reading towards the bottom on the Snopes article, there is this. It doesn't appear to be false.

Although Thunberg did not urge China to ban the use of chopsticks, China truly uses millions of trees every year to produce billions of pairs of disposable chopsticks. When concerns about the adverse impact disposable chopsticks had on the environment were raised in 2006, the Chinese government implemented a 5% tax on the utensil in an attempt to slow deforestation.

BBC News reported (link to 2006 article - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4831734.stm):

The Chinese government is introducing a 5% tax on disposable wooden chopsticks in a bid to preserve its forests.

It produces about 45 billion pairs of chopsticks a year, consuming millions of trees and bamboo plants.

The move came as China said it would raise some consumption taxes next month in a bid to help the environment and narrow the gap between rich and poor.

Although this tax may have slowed deforestation, it certainly hasn’t stopped it. In 2013, Bo Guangxin, the head of the China Jilin Forest Industry Group, estimated that China was using 20 million trees a year to produce nearly 80 billion pairs of disposable chopsticks.
It Greta had said something about chopsticks, she might have had a point.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2020, 04:06 PM

Do the Chinese not reuse their chopsticks?

I blame the Guardian readers living on takeaway vegan sushi.

But Greta is a treasure, weird kid, she's achieved so much, and I agree with most of it.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2020, 04:21 PM

Reuse chopsticks? Every time I've been in China chopsticks come as a single bit of wood slit lengthwise that you break immediately before use so proving that they are brand new and pristine.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2020, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Reuse chopsticks? Every time I've been in China chopsticks come as a single bit of wood slit lengthwise that you break immediately before use so proving that they are brand new and pristine.
... delightfully bohemian.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2020, 07:52 PM

I was quite surprised the first time (in the canteen of the Peking university - yes I know but it's retained the name!) my host pour a little boiling water into his cup, swirl it round, and empty it into the serving tray.

He explained it was to ensure the cup was clean. Not a thing you do in your hotel apparently, but good practice in some of the less --- salubrious --- joints.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

27-05-2020, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
She irritates the crap out of me too but that is as much because she looks like Steven Merchant's "mini me" as anything else. But just a random thought: I wonder if she would be as unpopular as she is if she was pretty?
Splutter, snort, snarl (breaks wind) I'll have you know you you you COLONIAL you that she's a spitting image of my granddaughter!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2020, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Splutter, snort, snarl (breaks wind) I'll have you know you you you COLONIAL you that she's a spitting image of my granddaughter!
Peeeeuuuw. Yes Art I can smell it from here. Sorry to hear about your granddaughter. But at least she might have her grandfather's sunny and kind nature.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I wasn't sure if it was true or not, I was going to put in in the Jokes but then as she's not been mentioned for a while......I thought I'd give you all a wee delightful surprise..

Pull your claws back in Bruce.. Sheeeze. :shock: :shock:
So it is OK to attack an autistic child for something she didn't do or say but shocking to point out to a 50 + adult that something that they did write is a lie? Interesting morality tale there. Sheeeeze!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top