Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 10:34 AM

Wow! What's Come Over Online Businesses??

What a revelation!

Is it me, or has a sudden transformation come over Online businesses? Apart from ordering with local shops and eBay since the start of the pandemic, I haven't ordered anything online, but yesterday morning I made two purchases from two separate companies.

The first was Petworld, where I ordered some items for my two pooches, and the second was a company called Rinkin, where I ordered some kitchen items.

Petworld - I had the usual confirmation email thanking me for my order with the order number.
Within 10 minutes another email arrived informing me my parcel would be with me by 11.30am today, 28th May and my driver's name was Martin. !!
How's that for prompt service?

Rinkin was even better. First came the confirmatory email thanking me for my order and the order number.
30 minutes later came an email telling me that my parcel had left the building and was en-route.
An hour later I had another email to say that my parcel was now on it's way to me and it would be delivered today, 28th May, between 10.52am and 11.52am, and the driver, Gary, would knock on the door and also take a photograph of the parcel in the doorway as proof that it had been delivered during this one hour. If it wasn't delivered during this time, to please contact them immediately.

WOW! This is what I call efficiency, organisation and customer care at it's best! I wonder why this is suddenly happening, rather than the usual 'I wonder if it will arrive today?' situation we had to contend with before this pandemic? I wonder if it is because they know the majority of populations will for the foreseeable future, be shopping online rather than visiting risky shops for all of our shopping and have upped their game?

Has anyone else noticed the higher standards of shopping and delivery whilst shopping online with companies?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 10:39 AM

Re: Wow! What's Come Over Online Businesses??

There's been some delays when I've been ordering from Amazon but not too out of the way. The usual next-day delivery is now usually two days.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 10:44 AM

no actually it is getting worse. One item got lost in transit and the firm had to send a replacement = 13 day wait. Got another item on order and no reply even though I sent a chase up email enquiry.
Not only that but when items are "out for delivery" we seem to be the last drop off meaning getting items late afternoon. So yet another day wasted
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 11:07 AM

I have to agree with SG - my personal experience has been very positive indeed!
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 11:28 AM

One of my indoor hobbies is leatherwork, so I've been doing that more often during the past few weeks

I've been thinking of getting a Japanese leather knife (find it on Google & YouTube) and some Japanese Water Stones for sharpening

Not surprisingly, they come from Japan, and I've noticed British importers & suppliers now often have some items out of stock
You could order them from Japan but as air travel is much reduced they would have to come on surface freight or mail, and the delivery time is typically between 4 and 8 weeks

However, I've Surfed t'Net and ordered the stones from a couple of suppliers to find what I want, and I've managed for ages without the knife, so I can hang on a bit longer
The suppliers did state that next day or 48hr delivery was unlikely, but it should be within a week
I could probably manage without the stones, but there's nothing like a bit of retail therapy to cheer up the Isolation & lockdown

About 3 or 4 weeks ago I asked my post person how they were coping, and the reply was that the post would be 'coming through in chunks'
Meaning that instead of a delivery every day there would be one every 3 or 4 days, when you'd get the accumulated few day's worth
Thus any delays migh be due to the post, and not to the supplier
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 11:34 AM

Pets At Home (sorry, gave the wrong name in post, I said PetsWorld) have just delivered at 11.25 am instead of 11.30 am. How dare they! Really impressed! Just waiting now to see if Rinkin deliver between 1052 am and 1152 am by Gary the driver. He still has 17 minutes !!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 11:44 AM

My experience is that delays are usually down to couriers rather than the seller, the exception being when goods are advertised as being in the UK when they're not, eBay are bad for this, or in the case of Amazon marketplace where goods are provided by sellers using Amazon as the window for their business.

Couriers vary quite widely. In our neck of the woods "My Hermes" are really good. Other couriers are not as good and one, a household name, is atrocious.

When it comes to on-line purchasing I use Amazon wherever possible if for no other reason than their prices are usually lowest and assurance of whatever I buy not being "knock-off" greatest.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 11:45 AM

I've had similar experiences to you Shropshire Girl - also when I am told that someone will deliver at a certain time I can also track the delivery on my computer ... ah well it passes the time!

The only company that I have dealt with which is slower than usual is Amazon - similar to Judd, a couple of days rather than same day or next day.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

28-05-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
One of my indoor hobbies is leatherwork, so I've been doing that more often during the past few weeks

I've been thinking of getting a Japanese leather knife (find it on Google & YouTube) and some Japanese Water Stones for sharpening

Not surprisingly, they come from Japan, and I've noticed British importers & suppliers now often have some items out of stock
You could order them from Japan but as air travel is much reduced they would have to come on surface freight or mail, and the delivery time is typically between 4 and 8 weeks

However, I've Surfed t'Net and ordered the stones from a couple of suppliers to find what I want, and I've managed for ages without the knife, so I can hang on a bit longer
The suppliers did state that next day or 48hr delivery was unlikely, but it should be within a week
I could probably manage without the stones, but there's nothing like a bit of retail therapy to cheer up the Isolation & lockdown

About 3 or 4 weeks ago I asked my post person how they were coping, and the reply was that the post would be 'coming through in chunks'
Meaning that instead of a delivery every day there would be one every 3 or 4 days, when you'd get the accumulated few day's worth
Thus any delays migh be due to the post, and not to the supplier
Hi Zuludog, have you tried Etsy, I know they do Japanese knives for leather cutting because I've just looked and they do have them but don't know if they are the ones youaare seeking. I like Etsy as it was always my 'go to' when searching for items.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 11:59 AM

I have found that Amazon do deliver when they say, I have no complaints there. Same with Haiths, I buy wild bird food from them & they deliver when they say, though they have been longer due to increased demand & have said so. I don't order from anyone else on line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top