Join for free
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 07:22 PM

Hey mister Postman!

I bought this replica George the sixth post box last year and thought I would have a go at making a copy of just the front to stick on another wall.

I started by making latex molds of the King's initials and words on the front, but didn't like the cypher (crown) that looks nothing like the real thing.

I found an old post box near where I live, but sadly not a G R VI, that had a nice cypher so I cleaned it and made a mold out of Fimo in an old tuna tin. I did get some odd looks from passers by whilst I was doing this.

I then filled the latex and Fimo molds with glass fibre resin.

Whilst these were setting I started on the front of the post box using a nice piece of hardwood reclaimed from an old wardrobe.

I drew round the outline of the replica that I had bought and cut out the basic shape for the new front.

Then I cut out the door and hole for the letters, as well as fabricating beading and the weather shield.

After gluing the castings from the molds, I gave it a coat of British Standard pillar box red.

Letters picked out in gold to signify the box is not in use. (White letters would denote it is still in use).

The white information plates are made from a sheet of stainless steel and painted hammerite white.

Close up of the information notices. I used a stencil to create the characters.

Finished and installed on my garage wall where it can be seen from the dining room. The screws attaching it are hidden under the collection time notice. I had to fill in the cracks and paint the wall before mounting the box, something I had been meaning to do for ages.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 07:35 PM

Re: Hey mister Postman!

You done good,proper job. Wait until the orders come flooding in
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 07:40 PM

Very clever Fruitcake, it looks so real!
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Very clever Fruitcake, it looks so real!
It is real! Well, I'm fairly sure I didn't imagine it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 08:32 PM

A job well done Fruitcake. It looks great. Maybe you should join these people

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08l581p
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 12:51 PM

Wonder how many will try to post in it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top