Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 07:41 PM

Man dies after being attacked by cows in Yorkshire Dales

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-52869060

A man has died after being attacked by a herd of cows while walking in the Yorkshire Dales.

The man, 82, from Foulridge, Pendle, was out walking with his wife at Ivescar, Ingleton on Saturday at around 13:45 BST.

North Yorkshire Police said emergency services were called but the man died at the scene.

His wife, aged 78, was badly bruised and taken by air ambulance to Lancaster Royal Infirmary.
That's very sad .....

Cows rarely "attack" people - often they're just curious - but if something (or somebody) "spooks" them they will "stampede" .....

When walking in the countryside, I ALWAYS try to avoid cows, especially those with calves but, if I have to cross a field full of cows then I go round them. Nevertheless, several times cows have walked up to and tried to surround groups that I've been with, forcing us to retreat or make a dash for the nearest stile .....

The poor lady will probably recover from her injuries but not from the loss of her husband .....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 08:06 PM

Re: Man dies after being attacked by cows in Yorkshire Dales

I have a friend who's husband is a cow farmer. He was seriously attacked by a cow and almost died. Thankfully he survived, he had a broken sternum.

He didn't blame the cow, it was calving season and the cow thought it's baby was threatened.

My friend and her husband have now sold the farm, he was coming of retirement age anyway and this brought it forward.

How tragic for the man and his wife and family.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 08:46 PM

They might appear to be complacent gum munchers but they can be intimidating beasties ... it's quite eerie when you're walking through a field and a herd turn to stare at you.

You have to feel sad for the chap and his wife.
Just off to enjoy a stroll and get away from all the anxiety of coronavirus.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 09:03 PM

They can certainly move quicker than you think.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 09:14 PM

That's very sad Omah.
The old chap died which is bad enough, but if his elderly wife recovers, she will now be alone with the memories too.
So sad.

One thing I do know and advise others not to do, is never enter a cow field if you have a dog with you. The cows will almost always come after the dog, even more dangerous if they have calves with them.

I thought there were by-laws about not putting cattle in fields that had public footpaths across them, but I may be wrong about this.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
They can certainly move quicker than you think.
Perhaps they were mad cows, or even bulls?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 09:40 PM

I shall never forget how we got attacked by a herd of cows when my son was a little boy many years ago.

Me and him went out for a ramble with the dogs in the woods behind our house at the time.
I think we had two or three dogs with us - on leads - and we ducked under some wire to walk round the edge of a field.
The cows were a long way off, right across the other side of a big field.

Next thing I know, I heard the thunder of hooves and the whole herd were running straight at us. It was terrifying.
I remember shouting at my little lad to take the dogs and get back outside the fence while (stupidly) I would try and head them off to give him a chance to get out.

I kept one dog lead and remember twirling it in a big circle as hard as I could so it made a whirring sound.
The cows were nearly up to me by then.
My son had got safely out of their field, and kept the dogs with him.

Whether it was the sound they didn't like, or probably it was because the dogs had gone, but thank God they stopped in their tracks, just a few yards from me.
I was too frightened to take my eyes of them, so carefully backed away still twirling the lead and backed up to the barbed wire and stepped though it out of the field to safety.

I thought afterwards, what if they hadn't stopped? What if I had been trampled to death in front of my 6 year old, and would he have found his way home without me?

I will never go into a cow field again.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 11:49 PM

Sad way to go RIP
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2020, 07:08 AM

I don't like cows...I never feel safe with them around.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2020, 08:39 AM

I like cows, but you've got to stand up to them, shoo them away when they get too cheeky.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top