Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 10:13 PM

Re: Preventing type 2 diabetes!

Week Three

The first hour concentrated on life style and diet. Looking closely at the five main food categories - Fruit/Veg/Fibre - Proteins - Dairy - Fats/Oils - and carbohydrates. We examined why we need them, what they actually do for us and how small changes in our diet could make big improvements to our health, well being and weight management. We discussed the various types of 'diet' - such as - low carb, low fat, Mediterranean and intermittent fasting. Joy of joys - the presenter said that no one 'diet' is the best!! We each need to establish what works best for ourselves - there is no quick fix - and people who go crash diets often do more harm than good. He backed this with graphs and statistics - but also explained the whys and wherefores. He stressed that no-one should cut out completely any of the five main groups as we need some of each to stay healthy.

The second hour was all about fats/oils and was very scientific. I wished he had done this bit first while my brain was still awake! We discussed the various kinds of fats and oils available and identified which were the good ones and which the bad. He had an excellent power point presentation to illustrate the more complicated bits - which made it easier to understand. Our 'homework' is to keep a food diary for next week - when we will be discussing carbs and sugars/sweeteners - and looking at the diaries to see what changes could be made.

It is pouring with rain - town is manic because St Nicholas Fair opened today plus the council are out and about putting up Christmas Lights - so people everywhere. Arrived home soaked to the skin - was glad i had made a cauldron of celery soup before I went out - very warming!

When I go to my bed tonight I will not be counting sheep - it will be saturates, polyunsaturates, trans-fats and triglycerides!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 10:29 PM

It sounds pretty 'in depth' Tabby.

Not sure I could absorb all those facts and information each session.
Do you make notes of everything?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It sounds pretty 'in depth' Tabby.

Not sure I could absorb all those facts and information each session.
Do you make notes of everything?
I try to, Mups, but they do give us lots of resources as well. One of the books they gave us free of charge would cost about 12 if we had to buy it ourselves.

It is very 'in depth' but the presenters are so good at explaining things. I am really impressed - oh - we were weighed again today - have lost another 2lbs and another inch from the waistline!!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top