Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 12:27 AM

Re: Gluten Intolerance

Originally Posted by Realist ->
A great percentage of so-called "gluten intolerant" people are not actually that. They are intolerant to commercial breads made with chemicals, flour improvers and the like.

Wheat and the natural yeasts which occur on and in the grains are supposed to be fermented over long periods, at least 24hrs, sometimes longer. When you make a loaf the "proper" way using long fermentation techniques the bread is digested very easily and many so-called "gluten intolerant" people have no problem when eating it.

True Celiacs are different of course.

The commercial baking industry which came up with the awful "Chorleywood" process years ago, is imo largely responsible for the plethora of "gluten" intolerants today.
OMG I had never heard about the Chorleywood process.
The more I read the worse it sounds !
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ad-413156.html
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 01:45 AM

None of us doubts that Celiac disease is very real and that there are genuine sufferers.

But, I suspect there are also many who have heard or read some hocus-pocus and convinced themselves they need to avoid naturally-occurring gluten.
Supermarkets and, in particular, health-food shops, make a motza charging these people more than twice the price for no benefit whatever.
It's a bit like climate-change, life-after-death, UFOs and most conspiracy theories.

I tend to go with the experts in the field - the Mayo Clinic just for one of many.
Science Says Gluten Sensitivity Isn’t Always Real – Some People Are Just Whiners
https://www.buzzworthy.com/science-p...-just-whiners/
Professor and scientist Peter Gibson is no stranger when it comes to studying gluten;
he did a study in 2011 that gave a lot of credit to the belief in (non-Celiac) gluten sensitivity.
.... he revisited the topic in 2013 with a critical look at the original assumptions.......

The results were pretty shocking.
They concluded that gluten couldn’t have caused any of the negative symptoms the subjects were suffering from......
People who did not take gluten but had thought they were, began to experience a list of symptoms that no one would wish his or her enemies.

Before everyone jumps down my throat, Google
"How real is gluten intolerance ?"
You will find a plethora of reliable information.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 11:12 AM

I tend not to doubt people when they say they are gluten intolerant having had two dogs now who are I really don't think it is put on by them it's real enough. If they can get it and from what I read it's becoming more common, then humans can too.

Who am I to say someone doesn't feel better cutting it out too I think.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 05:22 PM

Fair enough, Julie.
But I think I'll go with the highly-qualified researchers who have conducted 'blind' tests on large groups - using placebos and all - over many years in varied locations.

They are not saying that Celiac disease does not exist.
Only that genuine cases are a minority.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 05:38 PM

You vayjaymite people would know all about it
Pumicestone
Australia

21-11-2016, 05:50 PM

More than happy to let others judge the value of that last "contribution".
I.D.C.
New Member!
Rothesay
I.D.C. is male 

18-12-2016, 06:11 PM

Gluten is a problem brought on by what chemicals that are in mass production of bread and certain comercial baking products. Lets take comercial bread, take a peace of comercial bread and roll it up in your hand into a ball. What have you got , dough not bread. So what is going to happen if you eat this ? Its going to expand in your tummy as the yeast has not fermented so due to body heat it will. I suggest go to a bakers that make their own bread. Cut the bread open hopefully you see air holes in the bread ? If so this will be safe for Gluten problem people to eat without the feeling of a tummy being blown up. Hope someone will try this i have been a chef for over 30 years making my own bread . Its not you who has the problem , its the manufacturer cutting time and costs that is causing the problems.
devon56
London
devon56 is male  devon56 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 11:10 PM

I can understand the Australian Defence Force's attitude. There's a logistical problem is providing gluten free food and if a serviceman or woman gets an accidental dose then they could be off sick for up to 24 hours.

In answer to other points, celiac disease affects 1% to 4% of the population depending on the country. Half of those who suffer don't even know they've got it though malnutrition can result.

For anybody who might think it's a fad, I've twice taken a celiac sufferer to hospital after an accidental dose.
steven collier
uk
steven collier is male 

15-01-2019, 12:21 AM

Everytime i eat wholemeal bread i get a bad gut reaction the following day but i dont get the same with white bread...so i guess its the gluten thats the problem in wholemeal bread?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by steven collier ->
Everytime i eat wholemeal bread i get a bad gut reaction the following day but i dont get the same with white bread...so i guess its the gluten thats the problem in wholemeal bread?
The same happens to me. I tend to get indigestion with wholemeal.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top