Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 07:15 AM

Beans!

Does anyone still buy the 'dried soak them overnight' varieties?

I read once that Kidney beans in particular can be toxic if not properly prepared - so that made me a bit paranoid about them and all the others.

I love most beans but have to admit that I resort to the tinned ones for such as Kidney Beans, Butter Beans, Barlottis, Black Beans etc., always rinsing them well before cooking. Am never quite sure if they are as nutritious or tasty as the dried ones.

Green beans and broad beans have to be fresh though - the tinned ones are disgusting.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 07:26 AM

Re: Beans!

Hi ST I love beans added to my soups and stews . Like you I never buy the packs because mostly they have to be soaked for hours prior to cooking .

Kidney beans I'm told from the packet must be boiled hard for 10 mins at first to destroy the toxins and that's always worried me so again I stick to the tins .
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 07:35 AM

Not sure whether they qualify as beans but I love to soak chic peas o/n to make hummus.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 07:36 AM

Keezoy would you post your recipe for me please thankyou
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 07:39 AM

Only eat Heinz and runner.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 08:31 AM

No just buy a Tin.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Green beans and broad beans have to be fresh though - the tinned ones are disgusting.
Broad beans are fantastic. Delicious tasty green gems imho and they also contain the anti cancer substance Amygdalin which is also found in Apricot Kernels. During the summer season I eat Broad Beans all the time.

This past week I have been buying excessive amounts of them specifically to freeze. I don't know why I've never done it before TBH. Broad beans are one of the best veg for freezing.

This way I can keep enjoying broad beans during the winter season when you can't buy them any more.

You just blanche them in boiling water for 2 minutes and then either pop the green beans out of their pale skins or just leave them as is and freeze. Personally I'm taking the skins off given they're being blanched. Takes up less space in the freezer and saves the job later. I'm portioning them into separate bags for ease of use too.

I'll be looking at what other veg freezes well

Anyone got any ideas?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 10:14 AM

I tend to buy the bags and soak them both cheaper and no added salt so I think they are healthier. None of us seem to like kidney beans so we aren't in any danger there.
Jasmeen
New Member!
On the Lake
Jasmeen is female 

30-09-2019, 10:40 PM

I buy canned kidney beans to make chili. I get the dried beans for great northern, and black beans. I follow the label on mine to boil 3 minutes and soak for an hour. Never had a problem with them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 11:09 PM

I love red kidney beans, particularly in vegetable curry. I only make a small amount at a time just for myself so tend to use a little tin which makes two portions one to eat one to freeze.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top