Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 01:11 PM

Re: British Meat

The only meat I buy in Lidl is these pork burgers ... yum

shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 01:11 PM

Well, I am fortunate that I have a very popular Butchers Shop here where we know exactly where each cut of meat and chicken comes from, plus several Farms that have their own Farm shops. I don't know anything about GM crops or what else is in their feed, but am happy knowing I'm supporting local farmers and all the meat we eat is British. That does for me.

ST - No, I have never used a service like that. I should imagine it is a good service for those not near locally sourced though. Unfortunately, I wouldn't use many of the cuts that he shows, and the outlay would be enough to make me gulp! lol. Actually, I wouldn't anyway because I would be paying for fresh meat and would have to freeze it, which I personally think defeats the object as hasn't frozen meat always been cheaper than fresh?

Don't let my whinging put you off though ST, Sounds good for many looking for a genuine British meat supplier.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Just found this - do you any of you use this service - if so - is it good value?

https://www.buyacow.uk/non-halal-meat-uk/
It's not for me, I wouldn't want a box of different cuts that need freezing. I have a favourite local butcher with a farm in Yorkshire, and I go to him if & when I want something, rarely. https://thegingerpig.co.uk/

We buy chicken from a local Halal place .... we like their legs roasted whole ...

tonight we're having chicken liver & onion ... Waitrose Duchy Organic.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Free range is all well and good while his feed stocks last, but what does he do in severe winter conditions and all of his stocks have been exhausted. I am sure he buys in rather than let his income die of malnutrition.
There are three in a syndicate not far from me and although beasts are salt marsh grass fed, not too long ago when severe weather intervened the cattle were put under cover and fed cattle nuts.
His website says he has 25 acres to grow barley and beans for the feed. So I'm not sure how much that would produce, but it would seem a better option than other things.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 06:08 PM

Like SG, l also thought it was quite pricey but l suppose, you only get what you pay for.

I’d imagine if there were a few of you who liked the different cuts of meat, it might work out well.

It was almost £60 for the small box. I forgot to look but l hope that includes delivery?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 11:02 PM

Not something I would do myself - but I found it curious. Didn't know people invested in such things.

Will stick to my local butcher!
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Unfortunately, meat from any source never states if it was reared by being fed GM crops or grain. Even free range fowl are fed with GM grain because so little British produced grain is available for animal feed. A tour of British farms and feed sacks are a huge eye opener!
And the USA is even worse! It's one of the reasons our produce is in such demand world wide.
New Zealand food and crops
no fresh produce (fruit, vegetables and meat) is genetically modified. no genetically modified crops (eg, potatoes, sweet corn) are grown commercially. some processed foods may contain imported ingredients that have been genetically modified.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top