Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 08:27 AM

Personalised number plates

Do you have one and why?

Some people have them because their football team or home town's initials form the letters of the plate. I.e. FL0 HUII for instance (if it was on my car).

Others have their own name on the plate. Is that because they are so fond of themselves, rather like the person who takes over in conversation and loves the sound of his own voice? Perhaps they are desperate to be noticed and crave attention.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 08:41 AM

Re: Personalised number plates

W4nk45
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 08:46 AM

... having trouble posting upper case.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 08:48 AM

The strangest are the ones that are so tenuous, the meaning (or name) is printed in proper text, at the bottom of the plate.
Why have one if you have to explain its meaning?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 08:51 AM

For my money (excuse the pun, it was deliberate) it could be the fact that cars almost always depreciate in value whereas personalised number plates attached to them, especially the rare ones such as BUY 1, COM 1C, MAR 10N and BAR 4Y (of course) will always appreciate in value.

Maybe it's also tax-free, although Capital Gains Tax springs to mind!

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...uction-DVLA-UK
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 08:58 AM

My daughter has one on her mini cooper & her hubby has one on his Range Rover.

I don't think t's anything to do with being 'fond of themselves' They're both lovely people.

I think it's when you've got too much money & you don't know what to do with it!!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

29-09-2019, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->

I don't think t's anything to do with being 'fond of themselves' They're both lovely people.

I think it's when you've got too much money & you don't know what to do with it!!
I think also if she has a particularly nice Mini, it becomes ageless. Say it's ten years old with the proper plates attached, she might get referred to as the lovely lady with the ten year old Mini.

The plates don't have to mean anything, spell out anything.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->

I'm sorry Carol. I'm sure they are lovely people but it's all about wanting attention. "Look at ME. Here I am. In MY car!""
Do you think they feel neglected in some way?

Some plates don't even make any sense at all. Why spend a lot of money if they are not legible?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

29-09-2019, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I think also if she has a particularly nice Mini, it becomes ageless. Say it's ten years old with the proper plates attached, she might get referred to as the lovely lady with the ten year old Mini.

The plates don't have to mean anything, spell out anything.
But then why not have a plate with "G00D M1N" or something? Why put your name on it?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 09:14 AM

I ve never understood why people would want to spend so much money on a numberplate. I have to admit I do think of them being attention seekers because they do stand out and therefore it draws attention to them .

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top