Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 12:55 PM

Re: Turn the music off

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Some that spring to mind:

Amy Winehouse, Adele Adkins, Peter Andre, David Bowie, Madonna Ciccone, Leonard Cohen, Elvis Costello, Celine Dion, Bob Dylan, Bono, Johnny Cash, Tony Hadley, Whitney Houston, Joe Jackson, Simon Le Bon, Nils Lofgren, Paul McCartney, Morrissey, Van Morrison, Gary Numan, Roy Orbison, Ozzy Osbourne, Feargal Sharkey, Ed Sheeran, Rod Stewart (Post-AC), Michael Stipe, Gordon Sumner, Cheryl Tweedy, Robbie Williams, Neil Young - all vastly overrated, IMO.
Blimey! That's a lot. You must have trouble listening to music stations.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Really?! You wouldn't have much else to listen to now if McCartney hadn't teamed up with Lennon all those years ago!
Each to their own though

Adele is the most vastly-overrated "singer" of the past 10 years. Her voice actually 'cracks' on those high notes. Wince-worthy!
Ed Sheeran ditto. Why on earth is he so popular?! Bob Dylan would turn in his grave if he were dead.
Can't stand the smug grin of Robbie either.
Rhianna is unintelligible, unlistenable dross.
All rap "music" since 1982. Failed singers all.
Never likes UB40. Ali Campbell? More like Red Red Whine!
Radiohead, Nirvana, Muse: Vastly overrated too.
And I don't understand opera.
And the absolutely abominable goody two shoes abhorration that is Cliff!! Aaaarrrrrggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Ooo I'm upset now
I would agree with all of those except I would have to ADD Dylan to the list I like opera but not on the radio.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Blimey! That's a lot. You must have trouble listening to music stations.
Nah, they're just the tip of the iceberg .....

TBH, I rarely listen to radio music stations nowadays - perhaps in the car, on short journeys only .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 01:42 PM

Anything by the Carpenters especially Close to You and Top of the World, the absolutely god-awful Wailing Whitney, and Kelly Marie who's voice could shatter glass at five hundred yards. She should have been deployed in Syria - a couple of shrieks from her would have sent ISIS running for cover and sent them complaining to the war crimes commission.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 01:44 PM

Not listened to the radio for donkeys years to much CARP on there now and its a pain in the arse trying sort out all the accents.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I would agree with all of those except I would have to ADD Dylan to the list I like opera but not on the radio.
Well yes, in the context of being able to digest his voice, I'd agree with Dylan. A God-awful 'singer', but I tend to think of him as a 'vocalist' instead and his voice doesn't grate so much (much like Mick Jagger). In fact, some of Dylan's songs sound better sung with his ungainly rasp: 'Maggie's farm' for example needs that bile and vomit in his voice to express the message he's sending. An incredible songwriter though.

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Anything by the Carpenters especially Close to You and Top of the World, the absolutely god-awful Wailing Whitney, and Kelly Marie who's voice could shatter glass at five hundred yards. She should have been deployed in Syria - a couple of shrieks from her would have sent ISIS running for cover and sent them complaining to the war crimes commission.
LOL! I guess the same reaction would be from Tina Charles also, Judd. "I Love To Love"...A horrible racket!

Whitney Houston is in the same bracket as Cher for me. Big booming vocals but absolutely zero emotion. They just belt it out making the most inhumane foghorn sound like Dusty Springfield.
Where would you put Shirley Bassey in this equation as a matter of interest?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 02:16 PM

Well yes, in the context of being able to digest his voice, I'd agree with Dylan. A God-awful 'singer', but I tend to think of him as a 'vocalist' instead and his voice doesn't grate so much (much like Mick Jagger). In fact, some of Dylan's songs sound better sung with his ungainly rasp: 'Maggie's farm' for example needs that bile and vomit in his voice to express the message he's sending. An incredible songwriter though.

LOL! I guess the same reaction would be from Tina Charles also, Judd. "I Love To Love"...A horrible racket!

Whitney Houston is in the same bracket as Cher for me. Big booming vocals but absolutely zero emotion. They just belt it out making the most inhumane foghorn sound like Dusty Springfield.
Where would you put Shirley Bassey in this equation as a matter of interest?
You sick bastard. You've just awoken long buried memories.

If Clare Torry can sing in a high pitched voice without screaming and shrieking (Great Gig in the Sky), why can't others?

Shirley can carry a tune at least.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 03:01 PM

Really?! You wouldn't have much else to listen to now if McCartney hadn't teamed up with Lennon all those years ago!
Each to their own though

Adele is the most vastly-overrated "singer" of the past 10 years. Her voice actually 'cracks' on those high notes. Wince-worthy!
Ed Sheeran ditto. Why on earth is he so popular?! Bob Dylan would turn in his grave if he were dead.
Can't stand the smug grin of Robbie either.
Rhianna is unintelligible, unlistenable dross.
All rap "music" since 1982. Failed singers all.
Never likes UB40. Ali Campbell? More like Red Red Whine!
Radiohead, Nirvana, Muse: Vastly overrated too.
And I don't understand opera.
And the absolutely abominable goody two shoes abhorration that is Cliff!! Aaaarrrrrggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Ooo I'm upset now
Ms d00d likes the Italian Operas, and I'm now quite familiar with stuff like M. Butterfly, Tosca etc, and really enjoy some of the better recordings.

Here's something for you Floydy ....

Radiohead, Nirvana, Muse: Vastly overrated ... Nah, all good stuff.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 03:11 PM

The Proclaimers, I hate them. Hate rap too, any rap.

Don't agree about Adele, she is lovely, Ed Sheeran too.

Most of the other not liked I like. To each his/her own.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

29-10-2019, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
The Proclaimers, I hate them. Hate rap too, any rap.

Don't agree about Adele, she is lovely, Ed Sheeran too.

Most of the other not liked I like. To each his/her own.
Weirdly, I really like the Proclaimers. I find their harsh accent fascinating, nothing to do with the religious side.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top