Join for free
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 08:07 PM

Doctor Sleep

I went to see the long-awaited sequel to Stephen King's 'The Shining' today. The original Stanley Kubrick-directed movie was released in 1980 and apart from a badly-made mini-series, this is the first true follow-up to the original film.

It's a stunner too and without spoiling the plot follows the grown-up Danny Torrance (brilliantly acted by Ewan McGregor) as he comes into contact with fellow "Shiners".

Not so much a horror film at all but a very well produced movie of suspense and amazing special effects. It ties up some much-required loose ends too with some wonderful surprises and I thoroughly recommend it. Here's the trailer:
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 08:13 PM

Re: Doctor Sleep

my friend went to see it last Friday and when asked if it was any good she said "I loved it...…... I had indentations in my hands from my nails digging in" lol

Will I be peeping through my fingers if I go Floydy?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
my friend went to see it last Friday and when asked if it was any good she said "I loved it...…... I had indentations in my hands from my nails digging in" lol

Will I be peeping through my fingers if I go Floydy?
Hi B.
Not at all. It wasn't intended as a horror film at all although there are some creepy moments. It's essential that you are familiar with The Shining though as it does continue that storyline and its characters. I'm sure you'd enjoy it.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Hi B.
Not at all. It wasn't intended as a horror film at all although there are some creepy moments. It's essential that you are familiar with The Shining though as it does continue that storyline and its characters. I'm sure you'd enjoy it.
I loved The Shining, brilliant film. Now just to see if I can get someone to go with me...……..*shouting* husband dear
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

05-11-2019, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I loved The Shining, brilliant film. Now just to see if I can get someone to go with me...……..*shouting* husband dear
It is a long film at over 2.5 hours but never gets boring. Yes, get your hubby to go with you
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 05:58 PM

Is this the film of the book or a sequel to the original film? Because there are big differences between the book and film of The Shining.
I enjoyed the book of Dr Sleep although the incredibly hapless baddies lacked dramatic tension through their ineptitude.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

10-11-2019, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
Is this the film of the book or a sequel to the original film? Because there are big differences between the book and film of The Shining.
I enjoyed the book of Dr Sleep although the incredibly hapless baddies lacked dramatic tension through their ineptitude.
It's based more on Stephen King's book version but has many ties with the original Shining film also. The troop of 'Shiners' are a bit of an odd bunch but it's an integral part of the story.
Mark Kermode explains the film better than I can, Devo. Here's his review:

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top