Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 12:00 AM

Are we real or only a game

I can't pretend to understand all this, but I read something tonight that might give you something to muse over.

Supposing, just supposing, our world is nothing more than a giant computer game, controlled entirely by some other technologically advanced civilisation?
Apparently some leading scientists consider this idea to be a very real possibility!

A man called Elon Musk, a billionaire business man who founded PayPal and also an inventor, says there is a one-in-a-billion chance that we aren't really living in a kind of fake reality called 'simulation.'

Also a Professor Nick Bostrom at the University of Oxford came up with this same idea back in 2003. He believe that an extremely advanced civilisation somewhere in the universe had extremely powerful computers - powerful enough to simulate new worlds!

Some scientists believe we are all living inside an advanced computer game and it could even explain certain aspects of our universe like a scientist from NASA says it could exlain why the universe seems to be based on mathematical laws e.g. gravity can be described by maths.
Unusual and unexpected events could be explained as 'glitches' in the simulation, or maybe decisions made by those in charge.

Someone else says - "If you look at today's video games, they are developing so fast that soon we will not be able to tell them apart from physical reality. The simulation hypothesis has probably already happened somewhere in the universe. Computer games are not that far off from being able to create reality already."

So there you go. A crackpot idea, or a real possibility?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 12:04 AM

Re: Are we real or only a game

Bit like the old question "As an outsider, what is your opinion of the human race? "
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 12:06 AM

Very cracked pot.
It's mice.They are actually hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings who are searching for the ultimate question. It is this search that led to the creation of the Earth.
Everybody knows that now.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Very cracked pot.
It's mice.They are actually hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings who are searching for the ultimate question. It is this search that led to the creation of the Earth.
Everybody knows that now.

Yet NASA are various Professers as well as scientists are saying it's possible.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 12:19 AM

So I guess the next step is for some uber nerd to work out a way to hack into the "game", mess with the settings and turn us all into happy, healthy, relaxed people who all get on with each other all the time. BUt I guess that wouldn't work because the games probably programmed to neutralise somebody with that kind of crackpot thinking right sharpish.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

06-11-2019, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
So I guess the next step is for some uber nerd to work out a way to hack into the "game", mess with the settings and turn us all into happy, healthy, relaxed people who all get on with each other all the time. BUt I guess that wouldn't work because the games probably programmed to neutralise somebody with that kind of crackpot thinking right sharpish.

More likely to make us all go to war and kill each other off instead, Keezoy . . . . . oh, isn't that's what's happening now?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

06-11-2019, 12:36 AM

Personally, I have never played a video game, so not familiar with them at all, but the article said:

" The idea of simulated worlds has been explored in many different ways. An example is 'The Sims', which is one of the most popular video games of all time.

This is a game where you create characters and then control every aspect of their lives. Some are saying ti could be an example of how an advanced civilisation might be controlling the human race.
What if human beings are just characters in a super-advanced version of 'The Sims.'?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 02:16 AM

If the world were a computer game then we would have had a large number of upgrades by now.

Whatever life is, it is not what we think it is.

The Sims was extremely depressing and made you realise just how hard life is without other people.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 04:50 AM

Hmm. Well all I can say is it is what it is. Game, reality, simulation, whatever, it's all we've got. If it is a game well it's very realistic. As clear as 4K TV with super dolby surround sound. You would swear it was the real thing.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 07:29 AM

Well, Mupsy. I think you are unreal. And I am unanimous in that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top