Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 03:28 PM

Re: Are we real or only a game

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Mups , it was once suggested to me that this planet was seeded by other highly intelligent beings from other planets as an experiment or just because they could and it is these beings who watch over the planet and the human race. That's why we humans occasionally see alien spacecraft or there are abductions .

Another crackpot idea or real possibility?

By the way can I call for a coffee and a chat one day soon me thinks we would get on

I'll put kettle on, susan.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I'd settle for that, but get on with everyone all the time? how bloody boring lol
That's why I don't want to go to Heaven.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Sounds to me that its a repeat of how the Ancient Greeks saw their gods, playing games with humans like toys...

... or was it the Romans?
The Greeks - Roman gods were stolen from the Greek originals and given different names. Aphrodite to Venus for example.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 06:42 AM

It's not a new idea, there was a Jefferson Airplane/Starship song from the 60s or 70s which had lyrics to the effect that the stars are actually just the label on the jar.

Wasn't that also the conclusion of Red Dwarf that it was all a virtual reality game?
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 07:49 AM

So many weird ideas and so little proof. I think I'll let the mystery be.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 01:35 AM

Actually the OP here is entirely feasible.

The brain simply receives its information from the various sensory inputs we have.

What we deem to be sight and vision is simply an information stream being fed into the brain and the brain computes that info and enhances it, adds to it to form a complete "picture".

What we deem to be sound is merely the input signals going into the brain originating from the ear.

Everything, everything we think or imagine is "real" is in truth, just a load of signals travelling into the brain.

Once you get your head around that (pun intended) then you can contemplate the notion that you could take a human brain and hook all the sensory information wires up to a computer and feed signals in. The brain would likely not know the difference between those synthetic computer inputs from the real signals of body organs.

That being the case then yes, it is entirely possible that I don't exist in the way I "think" I exist.

I could in fact be anywhere, even be just a brain in a laboratory being fed false inputs.

In respect of such thinking one can surmise different ways that situation can exist.

One explanation is that beings voluntarily subject themselves to such false simulated inputs as a kind of computer game. if you like the very pinnacle of gaming where you are simply sat in a chair and in The Matrix style, plugged into a computer running a game of your choice. This game could be the ultimate mystery game where you are given the memories and experiences of something they call a human life and nothing more and you have to work your way through that existence to the point where you figure out that you are not real and participating in a computer game.

Another possibility is that it could be a form of prison or punishment. Those deemed a danger to whatever real society exists are perhaps strapped into chairs and plugged in to this false reality to keep them docile and locked away or perhaps to re-educate them.

A third possibility is that which is used as the plot in the film Vanilla Sky. That is that for people with massive disabilities there exists the option to be plugged into a limitless computer generated existence where they have no disabilities and can exist in a computer coma for years blissfully happy and totally unaware that they are in a simulation.

If this is all a computer simulation of some sort then t seems utterly incredible, but then it of course would because we would likely not have any memory of the true technologies of reality.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 03:59 AM

I was just about to post something akin to Realist's very good thoughts about reality vs. perception, but he did it much better than I could.

Some argue that if we all describe our perceptions the same way, then it must be real. We see a flower as pink, but a honeybee sees purple and indigo in the color as well. Is the bee accurate or are there even more colors? Does the flower even have colors "in reality"? If you can't see something, does it mean that it doesn't exist?

There's also a theory that the universe is so vast in the dimensions we know, then if we imagine it, it has or is happening?

We are such innocents when it comes to knowing. Fabulous to imagine what might be out there that we can't even perceive...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 06:26 PM

Bring on the magic mushrooms .
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Bring on the magic mushrooms .
Thanks, but I am having a hard enough time shaking off the cobwebs every morning and dealing with my aging vision to be messing with any other altered state than the human one .
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I was just about to post something akin to Realist's very good thoughts about reality vs. perception, but he did it much better than I could.

Some argue that if we all describe our perceptions the same way, then it must be real. We see a flower as pink, but a honeybee sees purple and indigo in the color as well. Is the bee accurate or are there even more colors? Does the flower even have colors "in reality"? If you can't see something, does it mean that it doesn't exist?

There's also a theory that the universe is so vast in the dimensions we know, then if we imagine it, it has or is happening?

We are such innocents when it comes to knowing. Fabulous to imagine what might be out there that we can't even perceive...
Might l add SM, if we CAN see something, it does not mean it is
really there either, l know this as l have a problem with my sight
whereby l sometimes get a geometric vision appears and grows
to occuy most of my vision till l cant see very much, this then
slowly shrinks untill all is normal again!!
Doctors can find very little wrong with my eyes?

Regards Donkeyman!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top