Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2019, 10:20 PM

Re: W.10 version 1909

1909 is working OK for me too. Almost at the point where I can do a full system backup knowing that a disk image of 1909 is good and can be used to restore the system should it become faulty for some reason or another.

I'll keep the previous disk image of 1903 for a while but I don't think I'll need to use it and will delete it in a week or two.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 07:32 PM

I've had nothing but problems since the last two updates, it didn't ask if I wanted them, just went ahead.
Now my laptop takes ages starting up, I get problems with Google, takes ages and black screen, laptop won't respond when trying to close down either, I have to keep trying.
It's a Windows 10 laptop, quite new, nothing but problems with photo storage and downloads going all over the place.
I have to use my old Windows 7 for lots of things and that's on its last legs.
All these solutions are way above my technology understanding. I think I will have to take it somewhere to get it sorted.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 07:53 PM

Ofgs! Just turned it on and its configuring another update!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 08:59 PM

See what it's like when that update has completed Tess. If trying to use the system while an update is going on in the background, it can sometimes slow the computer down.

Apart from that, it's a little difficult to know what might be causing the problem when the OS is running so well on my own computer. I can only suggest a few things that might make a difference. Steps like:

* Cleaning out the temp files in the User and Windows directories.
* Deleting the browser cache.
* Defragging the hard disk (or optimising it if the computer has an SSD).
* Perhaps disabling a few programs in the Start Menu that always want to start up when the computer does.
* Cleaning up system files.

These are all small steps that can collectively make a difference.

I use a program called PrivaZer (recommended initially by another member). Although it can be used, cleaning programs can occasionally cause problems so I'm a little worried about recommending it in case it causes something you can't sort out.

If the above does seem a bit OTT to do, it might be best to take it to someone who can do it for you.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
All these solutions are way above my technology understanding. I think I will have to take it somewhere to get it sorted.
Originally Posted by mart ->
If the above does seem a bit OTT to do, it might be best to take it to someone who can do it for you.
I agree with mart's suggestion .....

Nothing can be done online and even an expert might have to take a couple of hours to sort out your laptop's configuration but, once he's done so and stabilised Windows 10, then I'm sure that someone on here can help with storage and photo applications .....

Your local and county council may offer adult learning courses for Windows 10 - mine do .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

19-11-2019, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
It's a Windows 10 laptop, quite new, nothing but problems with photo storage and downloads going all over the place.
Using the browser you prefer, open the options and find the one that allows you to change where downloads go. They usually go into 'Downloads' by default but it might have become changed somehow.

I find it best to download files to the Desktop because they become immediately visible. Once downloaded, they can be copy/pasted (or cut/pasted) into the directory of choice. Delete the download from the desktop once that's done.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

19-11-2019, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I agree with mart's suggestion .....

Nothing can be done online and even an expert might have to take a couple of hours to sort out your laptop's configuration but, once he's done so and stabilised Windows 10, then I'm sure that someone on here can help with storage and photo applications .....

Your local and county council may offer adult learning courses for Windows 10 - mine do .....
It was slightly better after it stopped configuring, but it's been odd since the big update earlier in the year.

I think I'll have to take it somewhere.
Its no good me going to classes as they might as well be talking Chinese. I went to a few on Photoshop and was totally confused.
I may have to spend several hours pasting photos into one photo section. There seems to be two for some reason. They don't seem to download in any order.
My fault for having so many

I'm also wondering if Gameroom has messed things up too, I couldn't play games on FB unless I downloaded a new version of Flash, which wouldn't download so tried Gameroom instead, it's very slow.
If I get rid of it I won't be able to save any pets or crush any candy!
Thanks for your help chums x
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 08:58 AM

I have a bone to pick with 1909, since it has installed itself pressing the wheel on the folder icon no longer brings up a new instance of Windows Explorer.

An update just installed but alas it doesn't cure that problem (I think it is just an update to fix a vulnerability that the NSA identified).

It is not the end of the world but it is annoying because I have got into the habit of using it.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have a bone to pick with 1909, since it has installed itself pressing the wheel on the folder icon no longer brings up a new instance of Windows Explorer.
It does for me .....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top