Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2012, 11:25 PM

Re: Electrical work

That's okay, Sue. I asked at work today and it would cost a little less than £5K to re-wire the whole house, but I appreciate it's for the total refurbishment of your bathroom, which does sound a little over the top to me. I'm sure at that price your bathroom will be stunning when it's finished.

My best advice is that whenever you're having a refurbishment done is to contact several contractors and ask them for a fixed price quotation, then you'll have a good idea as to whether or not you're getting a good deal.

Good luck with it, lass.
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2012, 11:39 AM

A written fixed price quotation.

"The weakest ink defies the best memory"
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2012, 02:37 PM

I am not sure if £5,000 is excessive for a completely new bathroom. My first thought was that it was quite reasonable - particuarly if you are adding a free standing shower, fitted units, tiling, flooring, etc., as well as new sanitary ware. If my memory serves me right I think our bathroom cost over £6,000 about seven years ago and costs must have gone up since then.
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2012, 07:11 PM

Try living in a grade 2 listing building when it comes to cost to having anything done.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2012, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Erinaceous ->
Try living in a grade 2 listing building when it comes to cost to having anything done.
I bet it is a nightmare for you to get anything done and then maybe not how you would like it...
Sue
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2012, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
That's okay, Sue. I asked at work today and it would cost a little less than £5K to re-wire the whole house, but I appreciate it's for the total refurbishment of your bathroom, which does sound a little over the top to me. I'm sure at that price your bathroom will be stunning when it's finished.

My best advice is that whenever you're having a refurbishment done is to contact several contractors and ask them for a fixed price quotation, then you'll have a good idea as to whether or not you're getting a good deal.

Good luck with it, lass.
thank you Mollie if all goes to plan I think it will be lovely...Sue
suey
Shropshire

02-09-2012, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I am not sure if £5,000 is excessive for a completely new bathroom. My first thought was that it was quite reasonable - particuarly if you are adding a free standing shower, fitted units, tiling, flooring, etc., as well as new sanitary ware. If my memory serves me right I think our bathroom cost over £6,000 about seven years ago and costs must have gone up since then.
It was the second quote we had the first wouldn't do the electrics and wanted to fit a gravity shower but we didn't want that also hubby wants a fan heater in there and he wouldn't do that either he wanted £2.5k just for labour and we had to supply and get rid the one we have now is doing it all so seems good as the electricians costing is in that quote so we don't think it is over the top just didn't understand all the rules and regulations had changed so much from when we last had work done thanks again all for putting my mind at ease....Sue
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2012, 11:08 AM

My bathroom cost £7,000 earlier this year but it entailed combining 2 rooms into one so a wall to be knocked down as well
suey
Shropshire

03-09-2012, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
My bathroom cost £7,000 earlier this year but it entailed combining 2 rooms into one so a wall to be knocked down as well
I can quite believe that did you do the work yourself or had contractors in ? I bet it is fab now though....
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by suey ->
I can quite believe that did you do the work yourself or had contractors in ? I bet it is fab now though....
I had one guy who I know do the whole thing and yes it is stunning. It took a while but he is a perfectionist. I am planning to put my house on the market next year and hope it will make it easier to sell

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top