Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Re: Garlic 2013 .

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
So what month do you usually plant it.
I plant October/November. I was late this year because there was a shortage of some varieties of bulbs and my supplier sent a substitute I didn't like so I had to wait for another lot to arrive.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2013, 02:35 PM

I plant the same time as Meg, Val. I had to take a mix of soft neck and hard neck last year but this year we have all soft neck.
I resent having to buy them at the supermarket
Yes Meg, I think we have it a little warmer here and there is no shade at all where they are planted.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2013, 03:56 PM

Thanks Jan and Meg I will see what I am doing Oct/Nov this year
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2013, 09:37 PM

I left my runner bean roots in as usual - just cut the plants down, it's said to add the nitrogen back to the soil.
I decided to grow my garlic there and although they started off well, they are looking dismal now
I don't know if it's the winter we've had, or the nitrogen in the soil.
I am so disappointed.
This autumns planting will go back to the original spot.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2013, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I left my runner bean roots in as usual - just cut the plants down, it's said to add the nitrogen back to the soil.
I decided to grow my garlic there and although they started off well, they are looking dismal now
I don't know if it's the winter we've had, or the nitrogen in the soil.
I am so disappointed.
This autumns planting will go back to the original spot.
Hi Janela my garlic looks 'ok' but is nothing like the size it was this time last year.
It looks like long grass.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2013, 12:40 AM

Yes lots of garlic and onions up, I have also planted some in Feb which are now peeking out as well hoping to stagger my crop.
No sign of any of my potatoes yet , but my leek crop are about 6inch high.
Here is a great place to buy garlic sets. I have tried lots of different types. The elephant garlic is very good for roasting,
http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/TSeed...ht-Garlic.aspx

Val were are you moving to ?
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

24-04-2013, 08:00 PM

I had a close look at my garlic today, I am still disappointed with it, though it looks like the bulbs are plumping up but not half the amount of green as last year.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

24-06-2013, 01:36 PM

My garlic is almost all brown already We have dug up about half of them, they are a fair size but I should think about a quarter of the amount we planted have simply disappeared.
A disappointment this year, so back to the original planting bed for next year.
Our daughter showed us the plait we gave her last year, she has two little bits left (I think she'll be unlucky this year)
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

24-06-2013, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
My garlic is almost all brown already We have dug up about half of them, they are a fair size but I should think about a quarter of the amount we planted have simply disappeared.
A disappointment this year, so back to the original planting bed for next year.
Our daughter showed us the plait we gave her last year, she has two little bits left (I think she'll be unlucky this year)
Hi Janela I haven't tried mine yet, the tops are still green and it looks as though some of the bulbs are quite small.

I am not lifting mine until the end of July but might try one.
Two bits left mine were gone very quickly, I was eating one a week

I think the variety I grew last year Jolimont was bigger but Dobies sent me a different variety last autumn..
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

24-06-2013, 09:04 PM

I've just found the name of our garlic, Marco. A couple of bad reviews that I've just read and our own dissatisfaction means we won't be growing them next year.
Thought we'd try some elephant garlic and some other soft neck variety this autumn.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top