Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2013, 10:29 PM

Re: Garlic 2013 .

Janela it's good to know the variety then I can avoid the poor ones ....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2013, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
My garlic is almost all brown already We have dug up about half of them, they are a fair size but I should think about a quarter of the amount we planted have simply disappeared.
A disappointment this year, so back to the original planting bed for next year.
Our daughter showed us the plait we gave her last year, she has two little bits left (I think she'll be unlucky this year)
Janela I dug up a garlic head to try and it was tiny, in fact I ate the whole thing for lunch in my mushrooms on toast so you can guess the size
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2013, 04:38 PM

Blimey Meg, that is small! Was it a good flavour tho'?
So far, I've only had one small one, the rest are medium to large.
We will be digging up the rest at the weekend.
I don't think we have done too badly now after hearing of yours.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

28-06-2013, 05:01 PM

Blimey Meg, that is small! Was it a good flavour tho'?
So far, I've only had one small one, the rest are medium to large.
We will be digging up the rest at the weekend.
I don't think we have done too badly now after hearing of yours.
Janela it tasted ok but was only the size of a hazelnut .

The variety is Solent Wight and should be lifted in July. The foliage is very green still, I will look at it again at the end of July
The variety I grew last year was 5 times the size ...
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2013, 10:21 PM

I read an article about garlic today. We shouldn't be ashamed of our garlic this year, apparently even the experts are having a bad year! The article said the cloves were smaller than usual and going brown 2 to 4 weeks early.
I wonder what next year will be like?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

06-07-2013, 10:56 PM

I read an article about garlic today. We shouldn't be ashamed of our garlic this year, apparently even the experts are having a bad year! The article said the cloves were smaller than usual and going brown 2 to 4 weeks early.
I wonder what next year will be like?
Hi Janela I bought some wet garlic from Waitrose this week and it was very small and not properly mature .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

09-08-2013, 07:08 PM

My garlic 'Solent Wight' is all lifted now, it is a small crop compared with last years but tastes ok.

I have been trying for months to pre order variety 'Jolimont' for autumn planting but yet again it seems to be unavailable as it was last year .

A lot of garlic seems to have sold out already , I have ordered 'Provence Wight' so we will see what sort of crop that gives next year. It has good reviews on Marshalls website.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

23-09-2013, 11:57 AM

The garlic 'Provence Wight' has arrived and looks very good
certainly an improvent on last year's miserable little cloves.

Now I just have to wait to get rid of the runner beans which have suddenly decided to produce in quantity and I can plant it.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

23-09-2013, 12:18 PM

Our garlic arrived Friday. We too have Provence Wight Meg and Elephant Garlic.. jeez, I've never seen such large cloves. They both were ordered from Marshalls.
We are getting the border ready today, hopefully. (we get side-tracked so easily)
Oddly enough, two of our runner bean plants are merrily making their way up their canes. Runner beans for Christmas?
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

16-10-2013, 01:54 PM

Popped down the garden between showers this morning and noticed some of the Elephant garlic are growing!
I counted 10, most of which are about 3" high. We'll have to get the wire netting off soon
And the two stupid runner bean plants that started growing are flowering!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top