Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 07:51 PM

Re: EU plant registration

I still can't get over the refusal! Shame you can't remember the name of the plant. I wonder how they knew to check?
Unless all Nurseries have to be aware that there are rules for the Isle of Man and maybe other places too?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Unless all Nurseries have to be aware that there are rules for the Isle of Man and maybe other places too?
That's the only thing I can think of Janela - maybe the contents have to be listed and supplier checked before sending them; just as well or our lot would have sent all the plants back probably! They did put in an alternative that was acceptable but they were only root balls so I still have a couple of years to go before it looks like a hedge and whether or not it all goes together as well. I found that particular Nursery very helpful with planning a year-round scented/flowering hedge.
Abby
Australia
Abby is female  Abby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 10:29 PM

You need the EU Plant registration like a hole in the head.

The controls they have on us Downunder are disgusting - what has it got to do with the government as to what flowers you wish to grow in your garden??

To top it all of they did not even have proper border controls for the past 6 years. Some governments should make priority lists.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 09:36 AM

Well looking at the Japanese knot weed problem some are having here any thing that stops things like that happening again has to be welcome.
Abby
Australia
Abby is female  Abby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 09:43 AM

Julie
you seem to have two different value system ??? That is ok to apply as it suits.

I saw some of your replies under multiculturism - they seem to be at odds with this reply.

Surely what applies to one must apply to all.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2013, 05:17 PM

Another article I've read today re: this idiotic EU plant registry.
Thousand of favourite plants will be banned from sale at our garden centres.
A clematis we all know well 'Nelly Moser' is under threat, as is Ilex! (holly to you and me )

At this time, of the 77,000 cultivars we have, only 2000 are on this stupid EU register.
[quote ... writing scientific four-page descriptions for the rest, at a cost of up to £500 per variety, risks ruining UK plant breeders and growers .. end quote]
Those people holding national plant collections are under threat, propagation and sharing will be banned.

The only suggestion the article made was, for us gardeners to contact our MEP's.
I just wish there was a petition I could sign
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
at a cost of up to £500 per variety, risks ruining UK plant breeders and growers ..
Maybe UK plant breeders should start growing the plants that UK residents find attractive and worth buying. I've lost count of the number of times I've gone around our nurseries and saw nothing I wanted to plant and came away buying nothing. More variety UK plant growers
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

25-11-2013, 06:47 PM

We've had times like that. If we want something special we buy direct from breeders.
The trouble is, if the growers and breeders close and you can't buy the seed .... what then?
Besides, why should we be told by a bunch of unelected beaurocrats in Brussels what we can plant in our garden?
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

02-04-2014, 05:47 PM

This registration problem is rearing its' ugly head again!
quote from a gardening magazine ... The BIZARRE EU plan that could see many gardeners favourite plants banned, is back on the cards - just days after Brussels voted to give it the boot!
77,000 cultivars in the UK must be registered - at £500 a variety.

They want improved wording to the text - The charity Plant Heritage fears that MEPs and garden industry campaigners won't be able to influence a second hearing.

I feel quite frustrated, I have no idea how to help - apart from writing to MEPs.
Will we end up with 'underground' plant nurseries, or a black market?

Plants deemed as invasive such as rhododendrons could be dug up by authorities given power to come into your garden
One other small point, if you happen to cross say, two sweet peas or fuchsia you can't give anyone the cross you've developed. Unless you pay out £500 or more!
We are also going to lose some very old tomato varieties (they don't sell enough to make registering worthwhile) .. I wonder if we should all buy some? Latest update - sales are up by 40%
On the plus side shoppers are stocking up on seeds before this crazy new dictate from Brussels.

I feel better for getting that off my chest
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2014, 10:54 PM

I've been reading about all this in my gardening magazines Janela.
Just another excuse to line the authorities pockets. I really hope they don't get away with it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top