Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 11:16 AM

Greenhouse

I'm getting a new greenhouse this year
We both decided that my one is too small, it is choc-a-bloc with plants being over-wintered and I can't get in the door to water!
Decisions, decisions ... which one? I'm looking at an 8 x 10

Got to wait for his shed to be cleared, with new benches and shelves, and his tools set out properly and clear the old greenhouse of some tools too
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 12:01 PM

Re: Greenhouse

Id get rid of a few plants, save a bit that would . If you get another green house ,how long before that one is full ?
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Id get rid of a few plants, save a bit that would . If you get another green house ,how long before that one is full ?
Is that a serious comment? or a tongue in cheek one?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Is that a serious comment? or a tongue in cheek one?
Thats a serious one , we only had one shed that got full up , so another shed was bought now that one is full , we could fill a dozen sheds up and no doubt you could fill a dozen green houses,i love plants too, but when i compared the cost of a green house with the cost of replacing the plants it came in cheaper to buy the plants each year, .
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

28-12-2013, 12:57 PM

Where's the fun in buying new plants each year?
I have a white geranium that I grew from seed about 10 years ago, I have taken lots of cuttings that I give away - and when the threat of frost is over, out it comes in a big pot full of beautiful flowers already.
Besides, I couldn't afford to fill a garden of my size with big mature plants each year.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 01:01 PM

I may be odd, but I never throw away plants! I always find a corner for new ones, bit of a plantaholic! I've been trying to find a small greenhouse for my "new" garden but, they're so expensive and those plastic things are rubbish. I would be exactly the same though, filling it and needing more space especially in the spring with all the lovely seeds about! Last year I put seed trays on the "patio" and they didn't do too badly but you can't beat a greenhouse, good luck I hope you find a good one.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

28-12-2013, 01:13 PM

Thank you Twiz, I'm quite excited
I hate to throw away plants too and just like you I always manage to find a corner for 'another' one.
The bl**dy squirrels dig up my seedlings if I leave them out

Good luck in your search ..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 03:07 PM

That sounds exciting Janela I don't have room for one in my tiny garden..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Where's the fun in buying new plants each year?
I have a white geranium that I grew from seed about 10 years ago, I have taken lots of cuttings that I give away - and when the threat of frost is over, out it comes in a big pot full of beautiful flowers already.
Besides, I couldn't afford to fill a garden of my size with big mature plants each year.

I'd love a greenhouse, but my present garden is too small.
I'm a bit like you with plants Janela. When I was still working (care home), an old lady I was fond of died and when her family cleared her room out, nobody bothered with her pretty pink geranium, so I started looking after it, eventually taking it home. I have no idea of the name, but I have always called it "Phylis's Pink" after the lady herself.
I have kept it going for 8 or more years now, from cuttings, and its a picture every summer.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

29-12-2013, 11:03 AM

That's a lovely story Mups
We are lucky in the size of garden we have and we spend hours in it, mainly summertime. (the old bones don't like the cold anymore )
The greenhouse enables me to spend all the rainy days in the garden too .. and this new one will cope with two people

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top