Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 12:21 AM

Worm Casts

My little lawn is covered with them at the moment, so I found this article of interest.

"These bring up weed seeds and if you walk on the cast they flatten out and kill the grass underneath, creating bald patches. Brush them away with a broom when seen. In winter you can use "Cast Clear," an organic worm suppressant which doesn't harm the worms.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 12:29 AM

Re: Worm Casts

Mups my lawn is underwater just now so the worms may have drowned .

In warm weather I go out with a torch to collect slugs on the lawn and am amazed to see worms shooting out of the lawn at speed and back in again .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mups my lawn is underwater just now so the worms may have drowned .

In warm weather I go out with a torch to collect slugs on the lawn and am amazed to see worms shooting out of the lawn at speed and back in again .

They do, don't they, they disappear very quickly when they feel our foot vibrations coming I think?
shazy
lancashire
shazy is female  shazy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 02:58 PM

Mups, I get worm casts in a couple of places on my drive,
its block paving..wonder if i cud use it on there...

Shazy..
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 06:44 PM

I've been reading threads and posts and I'm completely fed up

Soooo....here I am in the land of sanity - Gardening and worms
Read an article today:
Worm casts can be removed mechanically by brushing, switching or using a drag mat. Brushing is only feasible for small areas. Switching involves using a long switch, like a fishing rod, the end of which is swept quickly over the surface of the grass. Telescopic ones, 4-6m long, with a thin fiberglass tip are available and large areas can be covered quickly. Whilst primarily intended to break-up morning dew they smash or smear the worm casts. A drag mat enables large areas to be processed.

Whilst this overcomes the immediate problem, the worm casts will be there next morning. The alternatives are to discourage, remove or kill the worms. Worms are not necessary for a healthy lawn; they do nothing unique

So now you know
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2014, 02:53 PM

I thought they helped aerate the lawn, maybe not, I have them on my lawn and swept them off last week, but they are back again now.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2014, 04:54 PM

Had a wander round the garden late this morning, and there are no worm casts at the 'soggy bottom' proving Megs point that they may have drowned. The top end is full of worm casts, big fat round ones but they are too muddy to brush away - so hopefully, we'll have no more rain and just before I mow, I'll get the fishing rod out and sweep it over them
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2014, 05:49 PM

I have managed to cut the grass today and generally tidied up the garden, was out about 3hours and really enjoyed it! I miss my garden in the winter so much.
The wormcasts are all but gone....happy fishing Janela....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top