Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2014, 03:23 PM

Please help me

I have been gardening for most of my life and during that time I must have seen everything, but this has me flummoxed. For years I had an evergreen shrub screening my compost area, it suddenly turned brown and died. This was not unusual as I reckon to lose something every year to windborne weed killer.

I dug it up and replaced it with another evergreen, this too withered and died; I tried a couple more with the same result. Now quite a few years later I tried an evergreen Hebe which grows just about everywhere, this is already turning brown.

Do you know of a weed killer or anything that could contaminate the ground for so long? Any suggestions as to what I should do? It is just this one patch, things are growing quite nearby.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2014, 03:31 PM

Re: Please help me

Some weed killers can render ground unable to sustain life for years, luckily they are not available so much these days but if this started years ago it's possible that someone had old stock or something.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2014, 03:52 PM

Thank you Julie, yes you never know what some of these old gardeners are digging out of their sheds

It would be nice to find something to dilute the area and kill the weed killer

At the moment I am thinking of putting a concrete slab or pot over the area so that I will not waste any more good plants.
Actually, as it is quite close to my earthed up rhubarb bed it will look as though I am starting a graveyard.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2014, 04:07 PM

Depends what was used and how deep it penetrates but sometimes you can dig out the soil and replace it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2014, 04:10 PM

You say it is screening a compost heap - could there be something in there that is leeching into the soil ?
Myth and Magic
UK

20-02-2014, 04:18 PM

I only compost soft weeds, vegetable peelings and shredded paper, nothing that could cause harm.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2014, 04:24 PM

Just wondered if you have soil pests such as vine weevil?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2014, 04:25 PM

I'm wondering if there is something eating the roots of your plants such as leatherjackets, have you dug out the soil and looked at all? Might be worth replacing the soil with new from elsewhere in your garden, could be worth trying perhaps
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2014, 04:56 PM

Great minds Barry
Myth and Magic
UK

20-02-2014, 04:59 PM

I do not suspect pests Janela because this is the only area affected, but thank you for the suggestion.

Being a wimp, I am not really strong enough to dig the earth out Plantman, than is why I hoped to be able to neutralise whatever has polluted the soil, if all else fails I could try to dig a little out at a time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top