Join for free
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 02:07 PM

Impatiens - downy mildew

I've noticed in a couple of my catalogues, that busy lizzies are on sale this year.

Is anyone thinking of growing them again after the downy mildew problem in 2011?
I know New Guinea impatiens are not affected but the ones on sale are the common bedding Busy Lizzie and they are.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 02:53 PM

Re: Impatiens - downy mildew

I used to plant busy lizzies every year in my garden and containers but after the disaster of 2011 specimens, I haven't bought any since. I replaced mine with Begonia semperflorens which flower well into the autumn. I'll most likely be doing the same this year too
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 03:25 PM

Same here I've not had a very good display in years,not be buying any this year .But maybe just a few in pots ,then if they don't do well i can put them out of sight
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 03:47 PM

Have you considered DIASCIA, it's a gorgeous low growing plant in various colours, which flowers itself to death

Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 04:57 PM

The last few years I've taken to growing Zinnias and the large flowered begonias. They flower for the whole season and have spectacular colours.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 07:34 PM

I should have said, that I have no intention of buying them. I've replaced them wax begonia too, and new guinea impatiens.
I over winter my diascia in a cold greenhouse Robert.

I was just surprised to see busy lizzy in the catalogues.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 06:52 PM

Busy Lizzies are lovely though but I don't plant them now either. My hubby likes begonias so they may go in my pots this year.
Roll on.....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2014, 12:05 AM

[QUOTE=Janela;418694]I should have said, that I have no intention of buying them. I've replaced them wax begonia too, and new guinea impatiens.
I over winter my diascia in a cold greenhouse Robert.

I was just surprised to see busy lizzy in the catalogues.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree with you Janela, I've seen them too but I won't buy them as its a waste of money if they still get this disease. Like you, I don't understand why they are still on sale.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top