Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 09:40 PM

Useful Slugs

A snippet from Toby Buckland's page in my gardening mag last week:

"Even slugs have their uses. When my Swiss aunty Marta was little she was given a traditional Alpine cure for coughs: red slugs left in a bowl of sugar until they had dissolved into syrup.
The thought is repulsive, but apparently it not only worked, but tasted good! Just don't try this at home . . . . . ."

Think I'll give that one a miss . . .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 11:05 PM

Re: Useful Slugs

....... is there a recipe for sickness after taking the syrup, Mups?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 11:09 PM

So will I , Strange that should come up today, I was just reading about Snails. Donald Trump is having a few problems with his new golf course at Doonbeg in County Clare...protected Snails are slowing things down. I wouldn't mess with Slugs Mups, they might be a protected species too.

"A microscopic snail just 2mm high and 1mm wide — ‘Vertigo angustior’ — was discovered onsite during the developer’s environmental impact assessment and listed for protection under the European Union’s Habitats Directive. However, Trump believes that the battle with the snails is not over and he may well take it on with Hawtree, rather than Norman, at the helm."
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
....... is there a recipe for sickness after taking the syrup, Mups?

Don't bear thinking about does it Mags.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Don't bear thinking about does it Mags.
Just imagine taking the 'cure' and then finding out you still had your cough ...... yuk and double yuk!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2014, 09:55 AM

I'll stick to my Elderberry Cough Syrup.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2014, 10:01 AM

That's gross Mups .. haven't got our copy yet but will give that page a miss

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top