Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 11:35 PM

Garden Centres

I don't know about you, but I often like to stop for a cuppa when I'm browsing round a garden centre.
I'm not a tight person by a long chalk, but why are refreshments at these places so very dear? Just a small coffee and a scone the other day cost me nearly £4 and I think that's a rip off.
Is it dear where you go too?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 11:47 PM

Re: Garden Centres

We usually just have a coffee when we visit our large Garden Centre, it's Starbucks and costs £1.99 which I thought wasn't too bad. I refuse to have anything to eat there though as they charge £2.99 for a slice of cake! I could buy a whole cake for that in Sainsbury's!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2014, 12:04 AM

Yes, Mups they are quite expensive but the homemade cakes are delicious.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2014, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Yes, Mups they are quite expensive but the homemade cakes are delicious.

They say 'Homemade' Cinderella, but that only means made on the premises, it doesn't mean with fresh ingredients.
I once worked for a very short time in the kitchens of a garden centre and even though they made the cakes on the premises, they never used fresh ingredients, they were all catering size packet mixes they just added water or milk to, even the eggs were powdered.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2014, 06:03 AM

I paid £2.60 for a pot of tea for two yesterday - quite reasonable. We never eat in those places, we go to village pubs for that.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2014, 09:48 AM

I don't dare eat out these days but our squires does a nice pot of tea and a scones for £4.25, we manage to make the tea do 3 of us and the scones feed two. So quite happy to buy it very occasionally.

They even do a doggy bag if we don't eat it all. Probably think we are mad but doggy likes a bit of scone too
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

27-03-2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't dare eat out these days but our squires does a nice pot of tea and a scones for £4.25, we manage to make the tea do 3 of us and the scones feed two. So quite happy to buy it very occasionally.

They even do a doggy bag if we don't eat it all. Probably think we are mad but doggy likes a bit of scone too

Don't forget some dried fruit can be toxic to dogs though Julie.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2014, 10:53 AM

We have lunch when we visit ours. Usually a toasted sandwich, with a little salad and coffee, comes to about £11

The restaurant is always so busy - full of well dressed pensioners, and the staff are chatty, a lovely atmosphere.

Finishes off our shopping trip nicely
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2014, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Don't forget some dried fruit can be toxic to dogs though Julie.
Never made one ill yet even with a little chocolate. Actually it's the little that is the key give a dog a pound of chocolate or a large amount of dried fruit and you have a sick dog, one sultana or a tiny bit of chocolate doesn't seem to cause any problem. And it's only very occasionally too.

Just keep mine off turkey and pork - none of them have had any luck digestively with those meats.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2014, 12:16 PM

I don't normally have any refreshment at garden centers but my DIL took me to a large well known one and we took the children into the coffee shop.

Fortunately I didn't have to pay but the coffee was dreadful and the cake was like very sweet sawdust. I know it was very expensive though.
I think these places often charge a lot because they know people are out for a trip and they can get away with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top