Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2014, 12:30 PM

Re: Garden Centres

I think these places often charge a lot because they know people are out for a trip and they can get away with it.

True Meg but this wet winter, people buying online and finances being a bit tight, I believe restaurants/coffee shops have kept them going.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
True Meg but this wet winter, people buying online and finances being a bit tight, I believe restaurants/coffee shops have kept them going.
I guess so Janela the one we went to is on the way to Birmingham and it is always busy. It sells gifts and many things and it is like a small town.

A lot of mums and children seem to go to look at the rabbits, guinea pigs and large aquariums.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2014, 02:16 PM

We very often call in a garden centre for a look around and usually have tea or coffee, that's all as I refuse to buy stale buns, cake or overpriced fresh cream teas!
So unnecessary really, I'm sure they'd be busier if they lowered the prices a bit and improved the quality.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2014, 10:12 AM

If we want a ride out somewhere but don't want to go into town shopping we go to Evesham Country Park.

We always have a coffee / tea there as I get tired so need a sit down (that is my excuse and I am sticking to it).

Don't usually buy the cakes if they have cream on them because I don't know how long they have been sat there for.

Sometimes though we treat ourselves to a carvery which they do very nicely and there are always queues as they are so popular and well known even the bus tours stop there for lunch.
Mrs Foxtrot
Southern England
Mrs Foxtrot is female  Mrs Foxtrot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 06:44 PM

I like having a treat such as lunch out or a cuppa and some cake when I go to the Garden Centres, but the prices are quite high. There is one nearby which does a very nice bowl of soup and a crusty roll for £3.50 which I think is good value, but others seem to charge a lot for food and drink. Mind you they are nearly always full so I suppose people pay it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 07:11 PM

One near us seems full of business people having meetings while they eat asking for receipts for their expenses. Claiming it back I guess it doesn't matter to them how much it costs.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
One near us seems full of business people having meetings while they eat asking for receipts for their expenses. Claiming it back I guess it doesn't matter to them how much it costs.

That's true Julie, they do that in Tesco's café as well. Now that's another dear place for a snack too. Over £5 for a toasted sarnie and a coffee.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2014, 06:29 AM

Yes our sainsburys is like that too, I even had a job interview in their and it wasn't for sainsburys it was for a company several miles away and the interviewer didn't want to travel to the site !
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2014, 11:15 AM

I once heard garden centres being referred to a somewhere for a 'Tea and a pee'. The implication being that they focused more on catering and garden ornaments than gardening. I think that some places this description is justified.

Another thing that annoys me is places concentrating on serving full meals at lunchtime, with not much choice in snacks.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-04-2014, 11:52 AM

They are certainly a good stop over for a wee, supermarkets are pretty good too, so many public loos now shut and gone these businesses are a god send for those of us with weak bladders !

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top