Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 11:05 PM

Re: Bugs, Grubs and Insects

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Mups I heard on the radio about the rats but not the wasps The new rat bait could have a dreadful effect on other creatures

I got undressed yesterday and went into the bathroom to turn on the shower and there was a huge wasp in the bathroom between my naked self and the door

I wacked it with the bath mat and luckily manager to floor it .

Well done Meg. I hate the bloomin' things.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2014, 11:06 PM

I dug down into the two shrubs that had the Vine Weevals today to see what was happening after their Provado treatment, and am pleased to say there were dead weevals in the pot, so it seems to have worked. I will drench them again in early Sept to hopefully get rid of an new eggs that may try to over-winter in the tubs.
Now, today I found quite a lot of greenfly and whitefly, especially on my roses. I bet we do have a bad year for bugs and pests as it seems to be starting very early to me.

By the way, has anyone planted their sweet peas outside yet? Is it too cold still? Mine are getting awfully straggly in their pots.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2014, 07:42 AM

I'm pleased to hear the vine weevils are dead Mups.
I'm going to do as you will be and give my pots a drench in autumn, before storing them in the greenhouse.
No sign of the lily beetle yet .. I have planted a lot of lilies, all in pots and half buried in the borders, strange that there is no spray for them yet.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-04-2014, 10:09 PM

Probably a silly question Janela, but do lily beetles only attack lilies?
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2014, 09:25 AM

Not a daft question at all, I believe they can attack Fritillaria too.
I believe the RHS would like data submitting about your own problems with these beetles.
I'll have to find the link but as (famous last words) I've no problem with them this year - I've lost it.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

21-04-2014, 09:39 AM

I found this link, which is probably better than my original one.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Science/Plant-pests/Lily-beetle

So if anyone else would be interested in reporting their finds, I'm sure it would be useful and interesting.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

22-04-2014, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I found this link, which is probably better than my original one.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Science/Plant-pests/Lily-beetle

So if anyone else would be interested in reporting their finds, I'm sure it would be useful and interesting.

That was interesting Janela, thanks. That's a good site the RHS one isn't it, lots of information.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2014, 02:07 PM

How I envy you people with green fingers..I have black ones, instant death to pot plants..any plants.

I think I kill them with kindness..''more food?..more water?...

I hate bugs of any kind..and if one appears..(which it will!) whilst I am attempting any gardening..I am out of there..pronto..
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2014, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
The critters are getting bigger, aren't they? We had an enormous wasp in the bedroom yesterday and because I've had a very clumsy week, a bit injury prone, I got the OH to deal with it.

Is it a bit early for wasps? How strange....I have Classic FM on the radio and The Wasp Overture has just come on, as long as it's not followed by a swarm of the damn things!!!
I have a great respect for wasps..

I used to feed a stray cat on my outside windowsill..One day I came out and saw one wasp taking the food in it's legs whilst the other ones hovered in a line..when the first wasp left..the next one went to take the food..

It was military precision!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

23-04-2014, 10:43 PM

Ooer, never seen anything like that lilac.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top