Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2014, 07:22 PM

Re: Hanging baskets

Hi cranberry, no one's gardening yet over here as we still have ups & downs of milder days then cooler days.
The ground is soft but regular flowers aren't planted in a frenzied way until the May 24th long weekend (Victoria Day weekend here). Seems the garden centres, nurseries are jam packed then.

I mainly container garden now & have shrubs growing in the ground. We have wildflowers here so I just let them do their thing. I have knees that are sore if I get down on them so it's made me stick to containers. No weeds to bother about either.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2014, 07:58 PM

I love my garden, it's only small but I spend hours on it and in it! I have a tiny wildflower patch for the bees and other tiny critters that arrive. A hedgehog visits regularly....I keep finding the evidence around the garden. I hope I never get too cranky or creaky to do it but you never know......
The weather here isn't that good at the moment but being Britain we can expect a mixture at any time of year!
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2014, 10:32 PM

It sounds like an oasis! Doesn't matter what size a garden is. If it's smaller you have more time to actually"enjoy" it, not just work, work, working at it��
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2014, 12:44 AM

I have a container garden, no grass unfortunately, I lazily made up some hanging baskets with fake flowers, they lasted all last year without pruning
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2014, 10:16 AM

Tut tut Honey, you are very naughty!!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2014, 12:31 PM

I know but if you look at it in a positive way, I'm keeping the Pound shops from going under!
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

27-04-2014, 12:43 PM

Our Dollar Sores sell 'real' flower bulbs for the spring /summer. They come in smaller pkgs of course. I bought 2 pks of Freesia bulbs & 2 different Dahlia bulbs. I'm going to put them in containers & hope they even work. Dollar Stores are great for many things but you still sometimes get what you pay for.

WalMart sells 5 Dahlia bulbs for $5.97 but I thought I'd try the ones from the $ Store.
cranberry
Notts, UK

27-04-2014, 04:59 PM

Lol @ Honey, yes they need the money!! Actually I took something back to a poundshop to exchange the other day and had the devil of a job, I know it's only £1 but if it's no good they can have it back!!
I hope your bulbs flower their socks of, AutumnColour!!!

I bought a climbing rose 2 yrs ago from Poundland and it is fab!!
Mrs Foxtrot
Southern England
Mrs Foxtrot is female  Mrs Foxtrot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2014, 05:01 PM

Hanging baskets need to be watered at least once a day, preferably twice a day when the weather is warm. I use the water retaining gels and the slow release feed pellets when I pot them up.
cranberry
Notts, UK

27-04-2014, 05:11 PM

Hi Mrs Foxtrot, I am trying a combination of things this year. I think the key is not to let them dry out but I sometimes forget to water so a saucer, water retaining gel and feed plus I will put in a small piece of hose pipe to get the water to the saucer to make sure there's always some there.......

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top