Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2014, 11:25 PM

Frost

Don't know about your area's, but they keep forecasting frost here from Friday night.
I've been getting all my fleece bags and bubble wrap out again just incase, as there are so many plants/shrubs with tender green shoots now. The perennial Fuschias are coming through, the Sweet Peas, my Agapanthus, Camellias in flower etc. I shall be so upset if a frost gets them.
Is anyone else going to be 'wrapping up'?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 04:56 AM

Re: Frost

Only the plants in my greenhouse and I'll cover them with sheets of newspaper - it's always done the trick in the past.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 07:03 AM

I always cover my plants with hay. It makes a bit of a mess trying to clear
it up but that has saved most of my plants over the years. I haven't taken it all off of the pots this year just in case. I don't do the new plants that you all talk about. I just keep the same ones for years. My Bleeding Heart plant will be covered by some newspaper as its hard to get hay to stand up
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 08:44 AM

It has to take it's chances here, shame if it gets anything but seeing the kids cycle over the border and fighting my way through the cat poo the other day I did wonder if we will be bothering next year at all.
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 08:57 AM

the only thing I have covered with fleece is the blossom on our little apple tree.
we were caught out this time last year and the frost killed it.
my bedding plants are in their containers but still in the greenhouse
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 09:00 AM

We've got a greenhouse full of plants ready to go out but it's not too much of a problem to cover them over with fleece. I just hope the frosts aren't too severe and don't go on for too long...
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 05:26 PM

We may put some protection over the soft fruit but the greenhouse has a frost free heater.
Isn't it a pain, just for a day or two.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 05:56 PM

My plants in containers are still going in at night so will continue with that for a while yet .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top