Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 03:48 PM

Re: Greenhouse damage/politics at the allotment

Originally Posted by Purdy ->
well, Jazzy, not wanting to put the mockers on it, when the police finally decided to give the site a visit, they said it was because of the container (very large and stuckout a mile) being all padlocked up etc. that it just invited thieves! it was very much in the open. you cant win really. they gonna get in anyway, if they want to.

I'm not being funny/critical, but just some advice. something else we put in the rules was zero tolerance behaviour (think thats right) wedidn't take any abuse from anyone, if anyone didn't like what the committee did/says they had to put it in writing for the next meeting (we had one every month for the plot holders, so complaints/ect were seen to quickly.
the only way we found out to get things done was to keep pestering the council, its in their interest moneywise to get the plots,filled. we have waiting lists and plots are filled as soon as someone leaves., so they do not get overgrown.
I wish you well Jazzi you and your committee have to get tough, you wont be popular, but we found in the end a majority of people were behind us. and of course if peeps dont like and they can do better there's always the next AGM to put themselves forward.
good luck, and I hope you get that greenhouse sorted.
as a thought, will plotholders donate some of their glass? get a notice up and see!
P.
We don't have enough 'disabled' plotholders as yet, who would donate towards the glass. And what happens if it keeps getting damaged? No-one wants to see their hard earned money be frittered away, constantly replacing glass. It is a grey area, in that money from the trading shed and yearly subs (to use the trading and lawnmowers) is kept in a bank account, and yes, does pay out occasionally. We try to contact the Association members about any large payout, like the proposed mower storage, and we always maintain that our accounts are transparent, and open to anyone to view. Nobody but Committee members ever bothers to ask for minutes, or the monthly financial report!

The council manage the site: they have introduced the new Complaints Procedure. We have nothing to do with it.

We the Committee can get as tough as we like: the Council just ain't listening!
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 05:37 PM

well, I didn't mean just the disabled P.holders, but yes,I haven't got an answer if it keeps getting broken, there is a limit how much time/glass peoples can give.
I use to put up the monthly "minutes" in the notice boards, so no one had the excuse that they didn't know what the meetings were about.
If you do know who is continually breaking the glass, the council manage our site Jazzi and you've got to get them behind you and get it put in writing!
anyway nuff said, I hope you get the trouble maker sorted, it doesn't make for a community site.
P
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2014, 12:12 PM

I see in my magazine this week that in Hartlepool plot holders are up in arms because the local council is sending 'spies' round to photograph every plot. A council spokesman said "Every year we take a photograph of every allotment. We will use a set of ladders so we get a photographic record. This is to take action if the allotment is not being managed to the appropriate standard" he explained.

Also, Bradford council have apparently revamped its allotment services, speeding up the process of transforming derelict sites to reduce waiting lists. One chap didn't work on his patch for a fortnight so they kicked him off altogether! Apparently they terminated 32 tenancies during 2013/14, with around 10 evictions.
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2014, 12:33 PM

This is what we did on our site Mups.
once a month 2 committe members went round the plots and took a pic of the unkempt ones, this pic was sent to the allotment officer and he would write to the plotholder, why wasn't he working his plot? if it was illness/holidays that was acceptable if not he was given a further month to get it up to scratch,if it was still bad the next month when we went round,another pic was sent, he would then get a warning. A third time and he was given notice.
Its sounds harsh, but its a popular site, with a five year waiting list, so why have these people on plots not working them, when there are people who have waited years to get on.
P
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2014, 10:22 PM

Fair enough Purdy. If they're given a warning as well, they can't really complain can they.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2014, 06:41 AM

Sorry, haven't ploughed through all the comments, but would it be possible to set up hidden cameras to catch whoever it is?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2014, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
Sorry, haven't ploughed through all the comments, but would it be possible to set up hidden cameras to catch whoever it is?
Tried to discuss that last night at our meeting, and I'm looking into it. Doing some research at a gardener's forum, too.

We are going to spend an awful lot of money on new storage for our mowers so I would definitely like active cctv.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top