Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 08:39 AM

New Neighbours.

Hi

Just getting to know some of them.

One side are lovely, a Countryside Ranger, wife works with Special Needs Children, next to them another lovely couple with 4 littlies.

The youngest one is hilarious, she is nearly four and a bundle of mischief.

The other side, things go downhill, she is lovely, he is an arse of the first order.

Baseball cap and hoodie, drinking cans even at 9 in the morning, lots of similar friends arriving and departing at all hours who seem to take a perverse delight in dumping their empties in my garden.

I am only 60 yards away from the school entrance, so a nightmare for parking across my drive morning and afternoon, but I can cope with that.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 09:10 AM

Re: New Neighbours.

Re: The parking across your drive. You could get NO PARKING written across the pavement or a polite No parking notice pinned to the gate. I think the majority of people would respect that.

The neighbours are a different matter. Best not to fall out with them or they could make your life a misery. If the wife is lovely - have a friendly word with her.

Good luck.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 09:15 AM

Hi swims I'm glad you are settling in ok, ...hope you are happy there.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 10:34 AM

Yep! Neighbours can make or break it for you depending how close they live. I’m so glad we have good neighbours but they aren’t that close either.
Wishing you the best in your new home.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 10:39 AM

'There is always one' I find when it comes to neighbours

Swimmy you just have to count to ten and ignore them for the sake of your blood pressure .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 10:52 AM

Best of luck Swims .. as long as they're not nosey or noisy you'll probably manage to get along. Best if you can.

I remember when I first moved to where I am.
Soon found out the the chap next door did noisy car repairs in his garage. A bit annoying. And worse, he was a copper.
I remember , in particular, Mr M and him having one big fall out. It got physical. Male grunting and grappling so I scampered up the drive and joined in to split them up.
It was evening and a bit darkish. By then one had the other in a bearhug and was sort of bent over so I jumped on his back and pulled damn hard on both his ears to make him let go. After all, best not to assault a copper, even an off duty copper.
I got the copper.
He hasn't spoken to us for over 30 years since.

The guy the other side was worse.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 01:26 PM

So glad to hear you're settling in ok.

Never miss an opportunity to say Hi to Mr Hoody, always be polite to him, you'll have him eating out of your hand. Keep it that way!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 02:59 PM

I can envisage you having fun with the baseball-capped arse (lol!) next door, Swimmy
Knowing you, I reckon you'll have some devious and tormenturous tricks up your sleeve to confuse and irritate him
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 03:02 PM

Hi everyone, got your cup of tea/coffee ready because this is a saga and a half if you can pour through it without banging your head on the keyboard !!!!

First, I would like to say I feel for you Swimmy, it’s so true that good neighbours are essential if one wishes to live an easy, peaceful life. I know in your case 3 out of 4 is good, but it only takes 1 to poison relations.

I’ve experienced what it is to have vile neighbours.

When I was younger and in my early 30’s, my much loved, widowed dad was sadly suffering from Terminal Cancer. From a once strapping 6ft Irish coalface worker at the local Colliery, he had retired several years and was now, well, I won’t elaborate, but he was very poorly. He had moved into an end terraced house with a little garden at the rear and front of the property a couple of years previously and was content there. Of course, with six strapping sons, daughter-in-laws, myself and he who must obey, with many grandchildren, he was never short of visitors, which he loved. He was always cheerful despite his illness.
Also, living in a small community, everyone knew everyone and looked out for each other.

Anyhow, this saga started with the house next door to Dad’s being rented out privately. Three student types in their 20’s moved in. They were obviously strangers to the area as dad didn’t recognise any of them (and he knew everyone!) but everyone is always warmly welcomed.

Now unfortunately, because of his dreadful illness, Dad was no longer able to do much, but one thing he still managed to enjoy, was to take his beloved little Cairn terrier, 11-year old Scamp, for a daily walk along the pavement of his street towards the lane and open countryside fields where he would sit on a seat and meet other people. He usually took about an hour and we would know every time where he was going and what time so we could be reassured how long he would be and where he was. There was always one of us to greet him on his return with a cup of tea and a sandwich. He looked forward to that walk every day.

Well, this one morning, I called in before going to get some shopping for him,(I worked for the family business as a bookkeeper at the time and as Dad was so important to us, I could take any time off that I wanted to, to check on him) He seemed quite cheerful that morning and looking forward to his leisurely stroll with Scamp. As I was leaving he was already putting on his flat cap, scarf and coat. (I always wanted to give him a big hug), but I also knew he didn’t like to be fussed over and preferred all of us to act normally and not dwell on the fact. So off I went and left him to put Scamps collar and lead on.

What I didn’t see however as I left in the opposite direction, was Dad starting his walk outside his front gate, Scamp cocking his little leg against the hedge of next door (try stopping a dog from cocking his leg!) the next door’s front door opening and two of the Cretins come storming out, swearing at my lovely dad for allowing Scamp to urinate against their hedge, calling my dad all the names under the sun, threatening to boot Scamp up the road if they saw him do it again and ending the shouting with “now P...off old man, and take your mutt with you”. To this day, I don’t know whether my dad continued with his walk or was too upset and came back indoors.

He was sitting at the table when I walked in 45 minutes later and I was naturally surprised to see him back before me. I could also see immediately that something wasn’t right. He naturally always looked wane with his illness, but at that moment when I saw him, he was deathly pale and looked old, haggard and worn-out. I asked him what was wrong and he wouldn’t speak at first. I kept on and eventually, even though it must have been truly shameful for such a proud man, always able to take care of himself in trouble, to admit what had happened, but tell me he did..

I have to admit now that what happened next was not me!! My dad had six strapping sons who would have died for him, he was so loved, but I was his only daughter, and always his little princess, raised to behave like a lady and taught to be always respectful of others. Even swearing from my brothers was banned in the home by my Mum, and if they sometimes got carried away and forgot that taboo, she wasn’t averse to giving them a clip around the ear, as big as they were.

Well, when I finally managed to get the information from my Dad, I just said to him “Don’t let those idiots get you down Dad, they’re not worth it!. You drink your tea while I pop to the corner shop for your daily paper”.

By the time I was walking out of the door, a red mist had descended upon me. I don’t even remember at the time walking to their front door! All I remember is hammering on their door.
The door was opened by one of them with two faces behind him, no doubt wondering who on earth was hammering on the door. Boy, did I lay into them. I ceased at that moment from being a properly brought up young lady into a fisherwoman starting off by remembering every filthy, disgusting, truly offensive swearword that my brothers and their friends had ever uttered when my parents weren’t around and which they never realised that I could hear quite clearly from my bedroom!
I told the Cretins very loudly that that beautiful gentle elderly man from next door that they had cursed, insulted and threatened, was my dad, that he had six sons and a son-in-law who would ensure that they would not be standing for a long time once they knew what had happened, I ended the confrontation by shouting at them that if they so much as looked in my Dad’s direction ever again, they would live to regret it because I personally would ensure that every bone in their body was broken!! I then left them with their mouths open as I stomped off to the corner shop to get Dad’s paper.

By the time I walked back through the door, Dad had regained a bit of colour after having his cup of tea. To placate him I told him that I had had a quiet word with the idiots next door, they had apologised as they were new tenants they didn’t realise he was their neighbour next door and he could be assured they wouldn’t bother him again (all lies of course, but it seemed to lift his spirits a bit). However, I was still seething inside. Of course, I never dared tell my brothers or he who must obey what happened as I knew for a fact those Cretins would have lived to regret uttering one word to my Dad.
Thankfully, I knew Dad would also never mention it to the boys either because of his pride.

Needless to say, living next door, they couldn’t fail to see Dad often when he took Scamp out, but they were always very polite, respectful, always said hello, and asked after his health and even patted Scamp!
Sadly, we lost Dad a few months after that, and little Scamp, who came to live with me, the following year.

I will end this very long saga by saying - I never for one minute regret acting like a man instead of a woman when dealing with those three Cretins, even though the thought of anyone else ever seeing me standing there at someone’s front door, red in the face with rage, spitting forth with such vile language, fills me with shame that I could ever act like that in my life, but it is a shame that I am perfectly happy to live with.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hi everyone, got your cup of tea/coffee ready because this is a saga and a half if you can pour through it without banging your head on the keyboard !!!!

First, I would like to say I feel for you Swimmy, it’s so true that good neighbours are essential if one wishes to live an easy, peaceful life. I know in your case 3 out of 4 is good, but it only takes 1 to poison relations.

I’ve experienced what it is to have vile neighbours.

When I was younger and in my early 30’s, my much loved, widowed dad was sadly suffering from Terminal Cancer. From a once strapping 6ft Irish coalface worker at the local Colliery, he had retired several years and was now, well, I won’t elaborate, but he was very poorly. He had moved into an end terraced house with a little garden at the rear and front of the property a couple of years previously and was content there. Of course, with six strapping sons, daughter-in-laws, myself and he who must obey, with many grandchildren, he was never short of visitors, which he loved. He was always cheerful despite his illness.
Also, living in a small community, everyone knew everyone and looked out for each other.

Anyhow, this saga started with the house next door to Dad’s being rented out privately. Three student types in their 20’s moved in. They were obviously strangers to the area as dad didn’t recognise any of them (and he knew everyone!) but everyone is always warmly welcomed.

Now unfortunately, because of his dreadful illness, Dad was no longer able to do much, but one thing he still managed to enjoy, was to take his beloved little Cairn terrier, 11-year old Scamp, for a daily walk along the pavement of his street towards the lane and open countryside fields where he would sit on a seat and meet other people. He usually took about an hour and we would know every time where he was going and what time so we could be reassured how long he would be and where he was. There was always one of us to greet him on his return with a cup of tea and a sandwich. He looked forward to that walk every day.

Well, this one morning, I called in before going to get some shopping for him,(I worked for the family business as a bookkeeper at the time and as Dad was so important to us, I could take any time off that I wanted to, to check on him) He seemed quite cheerful that morning and looking forward to his leisurely stroll with Scamp. As I was leaving he was already putting on his flat cap, scarf and coat. (I always wanted to give him a big hug), but I also knew he didn’t like to be fussed over and preferred all of us to act normally and not dwell on the fact. So off I went and left him to put Scamps collar and lead on.

What I didn’t see however as I left in the opposite direction, was Dad starting his walk outside his front gate, Scamp cocking his little leg against the hedge of next door (try stopping a dog from cocking his leg!) the next door’s front door opening and two of the Cretins come storming out, swearing at my lovely dad for allowing Scamp to urinate against their hedge, calling my dad all the names under the sun, threatening to boot Scamp up the road if they saw him do it again and ending the shouting with “now P...off old man, and take your mutt with you”. To this day, I don’t know whether my dad continued with his walk or was too upset and came back indoors.

He was sitting at the table when I walked in 45 minutes later and I was naturally surprised to see him back before me. I could also see immediately that something wasn’t right. He naturally always looked wane with his illness, but at that moment when I saw him, he was deathly pale and looked old, haggard and worn-out. I asked him what was wrong and he wouldn’t speak at first. I kept on and eventually, even though it must have been truly shameful for such a proud man, always able to take care of himself in trouble, to admit what had happened, but tell me he did..

I have to admit now that what happened next was not me!! My dad had six strapping sons who would have died for him, he was so loved, but I was his only daughter, and always his little princess, raised to behave like a lady and taught to be always respectful of others. Even swearing from my brothers was banned in the home by my Mum, and if they sometimes got carried away and forgot that taboo, she wasn’t averse to giving them a clip around the ear, as big as they were.

Well, when I finally managed to get the information from my Dad, I just said to him “Don’t let those idiots get you down Dad, they’re not worth it!. You drink your tea while I pop to the corner shop for your daily paper”.

By the time I was walking out of the door, a red mist had descended upon me. I don’t even remember at the time walking to their front door! All I remember is hammering on their door.
The door was opened by one of them with two faces behind him, no doubt wondering who on earth was hammering on the door. Boy, did I lay into them. I ceased at that moment from being a properly brought up young lady into a fisherwoman starting off by remembering every filthy, disgusting, truly offensive swearword that my brothers and their friends had ever uttered when my parents weren’t around and which they never realised that I could hear quite clearly from my bedroom!
I told the Cretins very loudly that that beautiful gentle elderly man from next door that they had cursed, insulted and threatened, was my dad, that he had six sons and a son-in-law who would ensure that they would not be standing for a long time once they knew what had happened, I ended the confrontation by shouting at them that if they so much as looked in my Dad’s direction ever again, they would live to regret it because I personally would ensure that every bone in their body was broken!! I then left them with their mouths open as I stomped off to the corner shop to get Dad’s paper.

By the time I walked back through the door, Dad had regained a bit of colour after having his cup of tea. To placate him I told him that I had had a quiet word with the idiots next door, they had apologised as they were new tenants they didn’t realise he was their neighbour next door and he could be assured they wouldn’t bother him again (all lies of course, but it seemed to lift his spirits a bit). However, I was still seething inside. Of course, I never dared tell my brothers or he who must obey what happened as I knew for a fact those Cretins would have lived to regret uttering one word to my Dad.
Thankfully, I knew Dad would also never mention it to the boys either because of his pride.

Needless to say, living next door, they couldn’t fail to see Dad often when he took Scamp out, but they were always very polite, respectful, always said hello, and asked after his health and even patted Scamp!
Sadly, we lost Dad a few months after that, and little Scamp, who came to live with me, the following year.

I will end this very long saga by saying - I never for one minute regret acting like a man instead of a woman when dealing with those three Cretins, even though the thought of anyone else ever seeing me standing there at someone’s front door, red in the face with rage, spitting forth with such vile language, fills me with shame that I could ever act like that in my life, but it is a shame that I am perfectly happy to live with.
Whilst the neighbours had no right to behave in that very impolite way, it is annoying when dogs relieve themselves on one's property. I would have said something, but much more politely of course.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top