Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 08:53 AM

Re: Brown bin charges voted in

Green bin = garden and food waste - emptied weekly
Blue bin = paper - emptied fortnightly
Black bin (the smallest) = general waste - emptied fortnightly
Brown bin = plastic and cans - emptied monthly

We don't pay additional charges, yet, but wait until our council has heard about some of the ones mentioned above.

All but the black bin are rarely full, although the green bin can be quite full if we've been doing some gardening. The black bin, however, is always full largely because any packaging that has contained food may not go in the blue bin and must go in the black bin, and so any excess I have to hide in one of the other bins. Also, as stated, it is much smaller than the other three.

Funny that the councils need additional payments to empty our bins, yet they are often away on junkets to 'see how other countries do things'! I think the real culprits, however, are the EU and the eco-warriors.

I just wonder what other additional charges could appear in the future: police (already cut), fire and rescue (perhaps separate insurance, like the good old days)? I sometimes wonder what our council tax actually pays for.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 09:08 AM

Well mine seems to be the most expensive I guess that is what you get for living in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, nowhere to put the waste

Not that I pay it anyway. When I get too old to drive I will probably be too old to garden so won't need a bin.
Until then I am not complaining about having to go to the tip as Barry says..

It seems quite fair to me that the council levy this charge because not everyone has a garden and produces this type of waste, and why anyone should expect all ratepayers to chip in when they don't use this service beats me... Regarding the fly tipping argument, it is surely just as easy to take your waste to the local council tip as to take it out into the country to a lay-by or farmer's field....
What a lot of moaners we are turning into in this country , if you are able bodied and have access to wheels take your garden waste to the tip, the exercise will do you good
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Well mine seems to be the most expensive I guess that is what you get for living in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, nowhere to put the waste

Not that I pay it anyway. When I get too old to drive I will probably be too old to garden so won't need a bin.
Until then I am not complaining about having to go to the tip as Barry says..

What a lot of moaners we are turning into in this country , if you are able bodied and have access to wheels take your garden waste to the tip, the exercise will do you good

Ah, but that can lead to a whole lot more problems Meg.
I always took my own stuff to the tip until recently when the council, in their wisdom, changed the opening hours.
It's always been open 7 days a week until recently, now they've decided to close it on Mondays & Tuesdays.
Many people only have weekends to catch up with their jobs at home so accumulate the bulk of their rubbish then, but can no longer get rid of it on Sundays before they are back at work again.
This alone wouldn't effect me, but there is a knock on effect. Now, when they re-open on Wednesdays, the queues are solid in the tip itself, also right out of the gates and a long way down the main road outside as well. The police have been called some days, and they've had to close the gates and not let anyone else in, which I can't see the point of, because they won't get through queue that way!
Locals are fuming because they load their cars up and drive there, only to find the gates closed on them. It's the same most mornings there now. There have been hundreds of complaints.

This is the reason why I asked for a garden waste bin now, I can't be doing with the hassle of queuing at the tip for half the day.

Bet Mr. Cameron doesn't have to worry about his garden waste disposal, so more government cut-backs on the council to thank for this!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
[/B]
Ah, but that can lead to a whole lot more problems Meg.
I always took my own stuff to the tip until recently when the council, in their wisdom, changed the opening hours.
It's always been open 7 days a week until recently, now they've decided to close it on Mondays & Tuesdays.
Many people only have weekends to catch up with their jobs at home so accumulate the bulk of their rubbish then, but can no longer get rid of it on Sundays before they are back at work again.
This alone wouldn't effect me, but there is a knock on effect. Now, when they re-open on Wednesdays, the queues are solid in the tip itself, also right out of the gates and a long way down the main road outside as well. The police have been called some days, and they've had to close the gates and not let anyone else in, which I can't see the point of, because they won't get through queue that way!
Locals are fuming because they load their cars up and drive there, only to find the gates closed on them. It's the same most mornings there now. There have been hundreds of complaints.

This is the reason why I asked for a garden waste bin now, I can't be doing with the hassle of queuing at the tip for half the day.

Bet Mr. Cameron doesn't have to worry about his garden waste disposal, so more government cut-backs on the council to thank for this!
Mups my nearest tip 5 miles away only opens on Wed/Sat/Sun so I am up early and waiting to get in at 8 am when the gates open along with a couple of other elderly people like myself while the young are still in bed.

I do struggle to get my bins up the steep steps of the skip and tip it in and will probably fall in with the waste one day
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 02:43 PM

What a lot of moaners we are turning into in this country
I can't speak for the others, but I am proud to be a grumpy old man.

I believe that we are fortunate now to be able to make our own choice of certain service providers, such as power supply companies.
I think it would be an excellent idea if we could also choose from a number of suppliers of council services, such as bin collections. I know that my choice would be any company who provided one (large) bin in which I could put anything and it would be collected every week - or even twice a week as I think they do in Spain. Better still, if they supplied a metal bin and lid and carried it from my house to their van. I suppose I'm dreaming about my childhood days when they did just that!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 11:18 PM

Mups my nearest tip 5 miles away only opens on Wed/Sat/Sun so I am up early and waiting to get in at 8 am when the gates open along with a couple of other elderly people like myself while the young are still in bed.

I do struggle to get my bins up the steep steps of the skip and tip it in and will probably fall in with the waste one day

Our tip doesn't even open until 10am now Meg, and the world and his wife wants to be first in the gates, that's the problem.
One good thing though, is there are no steps or ramps to lug stuff up, they have done it the other way round and made a huge sunken area and the skips are all down there. We have to drive along slightly above them so its easy to drop stuff over a low railing and DOWN into the skip, instead of lifting heavy bags UP. It's much easier.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 12:11 AM

We have brown bins for all the household rubbish and green bins for gardening stuff, our local tip are going to start charging for all items, some costing £15 upwards!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

29-09-2015, 10:29 AM

I suppose the only option then is to fly tip!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-09-2015, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I suppose the only option then is to fly tip!

Well if they are going to start charging, I should think that is exactly what will happen JBR. I thought the council tax paid towards tips?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

29-09-2015, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well if they are going to start charging, I should think that is exactly what will happen JBR. I thought the council tax paid towards tips?
So did I. I sometimes wonder what we DO get for our council tax.

To be honest, I wouldn't fly tip: I'm too honest (and I worry that I might be caught). However, I'm sure a lot of people would and I suspect that clearing up the mess would cost the council more than they'd make from the charges they impose.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top