Join for free
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2012, 04:57 PM

Question for drivers

Has your driving got better with age, or worse?

I don't think I've gotten physically a better driver in the recent years (not worse either, mind you) but my understanding of other drivers definitely has.

I now know to make sure I double check before pulling out of a junction, to never presume what another driver will do, and to be ware of the recent influx in drivers waiting until the last minute to slam on their brakes rather than slowly coming to a stop, just to name a few.

As for my reaction times, they are still excellent if I do say so myself.

The other day I had two cars slam on their brakes with no warning (one of which never even had any functioning brake lamps) and without giving it a second thought did an emergency stop without stalling the engine.

I've also had my fair share of idiot drivers where I've had to safely swerve off the road to avoid an accident, incidents of which I've avoided also.

In fact, in my 43 years of driving I've only ever crashed into somebody once and that was back in '77 when I was driving a Ford Transit on which one had to pull the hand brake to slow down as the front brakes were completely useless.

Needless to say I forgot about that when somebody slowed down quickly and put my foot on the brake to no response and went right into them.

Nobody was injured I hasten to ad, it wasn't at high speed.

So, how has your driving progressed over the years? For better or for worse?
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2012, 06:43 PM

Re: Question for drivers

Interesting thread OB, I have found now I'm older I have lost my confidence in driving a little bit. When I was younger (say in my 30's) I would drive anywhere in this country without a worry but now I don't like driving anywhere I don't know on my own.

Some drivers are so aggressive these days that makes me a bit more nervous.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top