Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2013, 03:59 PM

The Power Of Music.

As an offshoot from the "Crying" post, why does music have such power over our emotions?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2013, 04:24 PM

Re: The Power Of Music.

'When you were sweet Sixteen' .... an Irish song ....
In answer to your question Alan - for me its the music ...
How it is constructed and played - Strings - pull at my heartstrings too ......
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2013, 07:27 PM

Very complex issue. There is a book written about this - This is Your Brain on Music by Daniel J. Levitin. Fascinating stuff!
(Though maybe I'm biased as I studied music many moons ago before changing career...)
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2013, 09:47 PM

It is indeed very powerful Alan

I understand there are various musical phrases which affect certain parts of our brains connected to emotion. These phrases appear in the music of composers like Mozart.

For me music has the power to evoke moments from the past transporting me back across the years. This makes some music to painful for me to listen to ...
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2013, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
As an offshoot from the "Crying" post, why does music have such power over our emotions?
If you had asked what is your favourite music then I could give you loads of tracks.

Why music has such power over us is more difficult to understand, or rather, explain, Alan.

I have long been interested in the songs of the Aborigines in their dreamtime.

"Aboriginal people throughout most of Australia believe that in the beginning of time, in the Dreaming, there were no visible landmarks; the world was flat. As time progressed, creatures emerged from the ground and had the power to change at will from their animal to their human form.
Throughout their lives on earth they left inseminating powers in the soil; they also created, and taught to others, many songs including those recounting the history of their own lives, songs for healing the wounded and the sick, injuring the enemy, including rain, arresting the flood, or causing the wind to turn back."

It's a fascinating phenomena in which the landscape is forever associated with the songs.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2013, 03:40 PM

Nice Robert - The Native Americans were the same - so in tune with their surroundings and nature - loverly.......

May the snow 'never' make yer moccasins wet and soggy ....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2013, 06:41 PM

Fast music makes me drive faster!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

24-06-2013, 06:42 PM

That is a 'fact' Twiz - heard that a couple of months back - not that I needed telling ..... sort of figured it out ....
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Nice Robert - The Native Americans were the same - so in tune with their surroundings and nature - loverly.......

May the snow 'never' make yer moccasins wet and soggy ....
I love Native American music. And your last line reminded me of a magical trip I made years ago with my mother. We drove into Monument Valley under snow - a place that rarely sees snow - and it was beautiful and so peaceful. Definitely would have made the moccasins wet and soggy!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

24-06-2013, 06:53 PM

Pleased to hear we share the interest in Native Americans ... Lucky you, would love to go to America just to be in their presence ....
Wise people ......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top