Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2019, 09:09 AM

Possessions

Got too many .pbecause we have lived in so many places ( countries ) we have accumulated stuff that really we don't need . Duplicates of household crap .
I am off to the charity shop today .

Or is it age ?
I find possession burdensome .
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2019, 09:11 AM

Re: Possessions

My husband is a hoarder, so when he isn't around I have a clear out on a regular basis, he never notices.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2019, 09:16 AM

This is crazy I know but I still have boxes of possessions packed unopened in my garage from my last move 11 years ago....no idea what's in those boxes I'll get around to opening them one day....it'll be like Christmas for the Charity shops
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2019, 09:18 AM

Perhaps minimalistic living is the answer for many of us? How often have we bought something that we want rather than we actually need? Being realistic how much proper use do we get out of something we have acquired before we feel there is a need to replace it?

Maybe the saying 'less is more' has something to be said for it!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2019, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
This is crazy I know but I still have boxes of possessions packed unopened in my garage from my last move 11 years ago....no idea what's in those boxes I'll get around to opening them one day....it'll be like Christmas for the Charity shops
This is what I did yesterday .
Had unpacked boxes for over a decade .
Took some to the dump
It's amazing what we don't need to live with .
And sad that some things are duplicated .
( found three toasters )
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2019, 09:21 AM

I think we all get to a point where we have a mass clear out, all that stuff that has been hanging around for years that no one has even looked at.

Let's have a OFF boot sale.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-08-2019, 09:23 AM

What a great idea !
I know were I to die tomorrow my sons would ruthlessly chuck most stuff out and I don't blame them .
Must get rid of stuff !
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2019, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
What a great idea !
I know were I to die tomorrow my sons would ruthlessly chick most stuff out and I don't blame them .
Must get rid of stuff !
That's the thing isn't it. I suppose they would keep anything valuable and a few sentimental things but the rest would go to the tip. It does make you wonder why we bother to collect it all.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2019, 09:35 AM

I'm try to be minimalist yet still seem to have too much stuff . I do regularly have a clear out but it still seems to overload the house . I have cleared loads of clothes because I discovered I have 11 pairs of Jean's and trousers- ridiculous.

I read about life during prewar years and people moved house on a bus or a cart or carried their stuff , they had so little. We are greedy arnt we .

Time for another clear out me thinks , now wheres that drawer with all those jeans and trousers
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2019, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That's the thing isn't it. I suppose they would keep anything valuable and a few sentimental things but the rest would go to the tip. It does make you wonder why we bother to collect it all.
Maybe quite simply it's because we can? We feel we have the need, we have the means or we wouldn't be doing it but as this thread is showing it is often not really necessary.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top