Join for free
miki's mum
Perth Western Australia
miki's mum is female  miki's mum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2011, 02:18 PM

Where should I look?

Hi!
I went through the general chat lists back to January 2011, looking for anyone who had done serious ancestry research. Found a couple posts of forumites in general.
Being an aussie, married to a man born in England I have been on and off searching for his ancestors for the last few years, with some success. My question is does anyone know of a easy to read map, which lists towns/villages near each other? I have used a British Rail map which I found, as when I am searching sites, census records, birth/deaths etc. I have no idea whether e.g. Croydon is near Godalming or if Norfolk is in the same area. They are just names off the top of my head, as an example. As the surname is Mills, it is as common as anything and I understand in earlier times, families tended to stay fairly close in nearby villages etc.
I come from a mixed breed stock of Irish, Cockney, Scotch Colonial according to my late grandmother and it has been easier to locate my husband's ancestors (or some of them) than my own! It is a pastime of mine, no urgency but would appreciate a pointer in the right direction, please.
I learnt British history in primary School, needing to know off by heart the major towns/ports and what they produced, e.g. Sheffield steel, Bradford Linen, Yarmouth fishing, but gee that was in the 50's! It is pushing what's left of the grey matter these days!! lol! I did subscribe to find my past for quite some time, recently moved to ancestry.com so if it is not too boring, would appreciate your ideas. Thanks!!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2011, 02:52 PM

Re: Where should I look?

Mikis mum, try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...United_Kingdom

This gives you a list of towns etc and where they are located.

Apart from Ancestry where you are looking there are numerous other places.

Parish records in the town/Area that you are are searching.

Military records if they were in the forces.

National archives

http://www.1914-1918.net/haigs_ancre_despatch.html

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/?u...FQUOfAoddVV1tg

http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/

These are just a few places but there are others.

Good luck in your searches.
ps, the Scots will lynch you calling them scotch, scotch is a drink, Scots or Scottish
not scotch.
miki's mum
Perth Western Australia
miki's mum is female  miki's mum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2011, 09:14 PM

Thank You! I was only quoting my late maternal grandmother, who always said I was a "mongrel", then used the words I wrote!! Who was I, a mere child to correct her? lol! I do apologise most sincerely to any person of Scottish heritage for my innocent colonial error.! In fact, her Father came from Milne in Scotland, so she should have known better!! Naughty Nanna!!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2011, 09:24 PM

Good luck with your search. I bet it's quite an awesome task.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2011, 09:57 PM

Hi Lorraine.
I have done a lot of Ancestry research, over the years. It is a lot easier these days, with the internet. I have gone back to 1600. Parish records are what you need before 1836. You need all churches in the town or village, they kept birth marriages and death records. If you are looking for Scottish ancestors, Scottish People site is good. Scottish birth certificates have a lot more information on them. Have you been on the Latter Day Saints site, its good for parish records and it's free. Good Luck
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 12:27 AM

Yes, the Mormon site is pretty good and it's free.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/
miki's mum
Perth Western Australia

28-12-2011, 03:50 AM

Thank You, I have looked at some Scottish sites and found my Maternal Great Grandfather's details. As you say, much more informative! I have never tried the Mormon site, although I was aware of its existence. Sadly, due to work commitments I do not get as much time as I would like to search!
I was fortunate a few months ago, when helping a Sri Lankan friend find "proof" her Dutch husband had "officially" arrived in Australia, despite being here for over 40 years and a taxpayer to boot! lol! The National Archives in Canberra was able to provide the details direct to them after I enquired on their behalf. Whilst on the phone, I mentioned my research and after paying a modest amount of $15 was eventually given the 11 pages of my husband's family's migrant application, medical and x ray results! So that has been given also to my husband's brothers!
I seem to remember the lady saying that records are slowly being digitised and they are only up to the early 1960's at this stage.
Thanks again!
cheers!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top